"Collegetown, USA" Top 5 Page for this destination Athens by yooperprof
Athens Travel Guide: 70 reviews and 89 photos
"Greek Revival" architecture abounds in Athens. This style was widely popular in nineteenth century America, and especially so in the South after the US Civil War. It seems to me that the "Greek Revival" style lost its importance in the North around 1870, but remained a vital part of "Southern identity" all the way to World War II, and perhaps beyond.
Desgregation came to Athens about 40 years ago - with the protection of the Federal Government. "On January 9, 1961, Hamilton Holmes and Charlayne Hunter became the first two African American students to enroll at the University of Georgia when they walked past the historic arch and into this building to register for classes."
- Pros:Lots of good bands from here
Football is religion here, and one of the most important spaces on the University of Georgia campus is the hallowed... more travel advice
Not surprisingly (and rather depressingly), there's a large national chain coffeeshop on the most prominent corner... more travel advice
yooperprof's Related Pages
Athens Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "athens, georgia"
- "Athens, Georgia"
- "I Like Athens"
- "Collegetown, USA"
- "Wiktoria's new Athens Page"
- "sonrie's new Athens Page"
- "Charlie Deuce's new Athens page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Athens
- Hotels in Athens
- Transportation in Athens
- Nightlife in Athens
- Restaurants in Athens
- Warnings and Dangers in Athens
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Athens
- 4 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (114)
Have you been to Athens?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Athens
Photos in AthensSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 205 reviews, 391 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 82 reviews, 229 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 126 reviews, 161 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 112 reviews, 173 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milwaukee Intro, 102 reviews, 168 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 86 reviews, 176 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marquette Intro, 80 reviews, 151 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ottawa Intro, 67 reviews, 144 photos, 1 travelogue
- Montreal Intro, 70 reviews, 137 photos
- Kansas City Intro, 72 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues