"Home of the Key Deer National Wildlife Refuge" Top 5 Page for this destination Big Pine Key by yooperprof
Big Pine Key Travel Guide: 27 reviews and 95 photos
Key Deer are a remarkable sub-species of White-tail which grow only to a height of about 2 feet - the size of a medieum-sized dog. They are severely endangered, yet have manage to survive in spite of the relentless pace of "progress". Big Pine Key has the largest population of these miniature critters. They are remarkably tame, which is probably one of the reasons why they are endangered - they don't know well enough to stay off the highways and out of the path of murderous autos and SUVs. Big Pine Key is about halfway between Marathon and Key West - a half-hour drive to either place. Traffic zooms by on US1, but once you get off the highway it's very quiet.
Look at the rack at that 'un!
- In a nutshell:Don't run over Bambi!
There are places on Big Pine Key that do feel "undiscovered" - that's pretty unusual in this much-visited state. more travel advice
yooperprof's Related Pages
Big Pine Key Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Key Deer and Alligators"
- "big pine key florida"
- "Home of the Key Deer National Wildlife Refuge"
- "Big pine Key"
- "Randall_Burt's new Big Pine Key Page"
- "Flying_Thief's Flats Fishing"
- "tent camping"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Big Pine Key
- Hotels in Big Pine Key
- Nightlife in Big Pine Key
- Restaurants in Big Pine Key
- Shopping in Big Pine Key
- Warnings and Dangers in Big Pine Key
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Big Pine Key
- 3 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (114)
Have you been to Big Pine Key?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Big Pine Key
Photos in Big Pine KeySee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 205 reviews, 391 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 82 reviews, 229 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 126 reviews, 161 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 112 reviews, 173 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milwaukee Intro, 102 reviews, 168 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 86 reviews, 176 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marquette Intro, 80 reviews, 151 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ottawa Intro, 67 reviews, 144 photos, 1 travelogue
- Montreal Intro, 70 reviews, 137 photos
- Kansas City Intro, 72 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues