"Quiet Panhandle Town with Genuine Charm" Top 5 Page for this destination Apalachicola by yooperprof
Apalachicola Travel Guide: 31 reviews and 49 photos
Apalachicola is a small town on one of the few remaining "untouristed" stretches of Florida Gulf coastline. Of course, there _are_ visitors here, but in nothing like the numbers you'll find in places like Panama City to the west. Apalachicola doesn't have glamorous beaches or ritzy resorts or shiny gleamy shopping malls or an interstate highway that passes nearby. You should visit Apalachicola before any of that changes.
Sitting and watching the Apalachicola River go by.
Mind you, there are other things to do. I like the historical sites, like the plantation-style Orman House, and the obscure but fascinating "Ice Machine Museum", dedicated to Apalachicola's own Dr. John Gorrie.
There are also fishing excursions you can arrange in town.
But I think if you spend all your time in Apalachicola being busy and doing things, you are missing the point of coming here.
The Gibson Hotel would be a good place to stay while in Apalachicola. You could sit on the balcony and watch the traffic go by on US 98.
- Pros:real, unspoiled Florida
Wonderful Apalachicola classic restaurant/bar, charmingly casual, with a real "local" feel. It's on the second floor of... more travel advice
It is just wonderful that Apalachicola has a small independent bookstore, specializing in local and regional authors and... more travel advice
yooperprof's Related Pages
Apalachicola Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "apalachicola florida"
- "Quiet Panhandle Town with Genuine Charm"
- "Apalachicola: A Town Time “Almost” Forgot"
- "Great Old Florida town"
- "Basaic Apalachicola Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Apalachicola
- Hotels in Apalachicola
- Restaurants in Apalachicola
- Shopping in Apalachicola
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Apalachicola
- 7 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (114)
Have you been to Apalachicola?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Apalachicola
Photos in ApalachicolaSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 205 reviews, 391 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 82 reviews, 229 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 126 reviews, 161 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 112 reviews, 173 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milwaukee Intro, 102 reviews, 168 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 86 reviews, 176 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marquette Intro, 80 reviews, 151 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ottawa Intro, 67 reviews, 144 photos, 1 travelogue
- Montreal Intro, 70 reviews, 137 photos
- Kansas City Intro, 72 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues