"Cologne is In-spire-ing!" Cologne by yooperprof
Cologne Travel Guide: 1,653 reviews and 4,402 photos
It took almost 600 years to finish building Cologne's Cathedral. Work on the enormous and intricate monument halted in the late middle ages, and only picked up again in the early 1800s. It very nearly was reduced to rubble in World War II, but even though the city of Cologne was firebombed, damage to the Cathedral was relatively minor, and the Cathedral stands today as a fitting monument to the continuity of German history.
"Tünnes" and "Schäl" represent the dialectical spirit of Cologne and its people. Tünnes, short and stout, stands for the free-spirited, uncontrolled side of human nature. Schäl, tall and precise, represents the orderly and rational portion of our personalities. Cologne encompasses both personas. It's a carnival city that's also a center of scholarship and culture.
Sit back and enjoy the city! Yes, Köln has an abundance of fascinating museums, and a unique collection of Romanesque Churches, and a World Heritage Site that couldn't be more convenient for the Train Station! But you've not really experienced the city unless you've spent time in a cafe - preferably outdoors - relaxing and enjoying the comfortable city of this Rhenish masterpiece.
I was hungry from a day of strolling through Colgone, and when I saw this trattoria decided that Italian food was just... more travel advice
If you are in Cologne in one of the major religious "seasons" of the year - Easter, Pentecost, Advent - you may very... more travel advice
yooperprof's Related Pages
Cologne Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Beautiful Cologne"
- "Koelsh, ja wohl"
- "Fabulous city with huge cultural heritage."
- "Roman History, Magnificent Cathedral, and Kölsch"
- "My big neighbour, Cologne (Köln)!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cologne
- Hotels in Cologne
- Transportation in Cologne
- Nightlife in Cologne
- Restaurants in Cologne
- Shopping in Cologne
- Warnings and Dangers in Cologne
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cologne
- 19 Reviews
- 26 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (114)
Have you been to Cologne?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cologne
Photos in CologneSee All Photos (26)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 205 reviews, 391 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 82 reviews, 229 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 126 reviews, 161 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 112 reviews, 173 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milwaukee Intro, 102 reviews, 168 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 86 reviews, 176 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marquette Intro, 80 reviews, 151 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ottawa Intro, 67 reviews, 144 photos, 1 travelogue
- Montreal Intro, 70 reviews, 137 photos
- Kansas City Intro, 72 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues