"Open the Door to Slovakia!" Bratislava by yooperprof
Bratislava Travel Guide: 2,032 reviews and 4,537 photos
Bratislava is only 45 minutes from Vienna, but it feels much further away than that. More than the other cities I visited in east Central Europe - Prague and Gyor - Bratislava retains many markers of its recent communist past. Not that that is entirely a bad thing! Bratislava is a city of considerable charm and beauty, and I was glad that it wasn't overrun by the kind of tourists who visit a place just because they've heard about it on MTV.
Bratislava is a city with beautiful things abounding in the streetscape. An old building in the center of the city has been made into a kind of outdoor gallery, as artists have created a series of paintings for what would have otherwise been abandoned and forlorn windows. Kudos for this creative use of space!
Bratislava also has another form of public art - graffiti - in abundance. It's strikingly evident on the "New Bridge", the futuristic link between the fascination historic city center and the drab, mechanistic worker-suburbs on the south side of the Danube. For more of my idle musings on urban alienation, the suburbs, and the grafitti, look at my pages on the New Bridge itself in the "general tips" sections as well as some reflections on graffiti in "local customs".
- In a nutshell:Only an hour from Vienna, but it's a different world
I only had one full meal while I was in Bratislava - (sorry, Phil) - but it was a good one. "Kelt" is a fine... more travel advice
Bratislava unfolds like a storybook, with a series of quaint squares linked by cobblestoned streets. It's a fun place to... more travel advice
yooperprof's Related Pages
Bratislava Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Vitajte v Bratislave !"
- "Bratislava - My Hometown"
- "Bratislava - Gateway to the Little Carpathians"
- "Bratislava - Proud to play second fiddle"
- "Bratislava - The smallest big city"
- "Bratislava - The Beauty on the Danube"
- "Bratislava - cozy and small capital of Slovakia"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bratislava
- Hotels in Bratislava
- Transportation in Bratislava
- Nightlife in Bratislava
- Restaurants in Bratislava
- Shopping in Bratislava
- Warnings and Dangers in Bratislava
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bratislava
- 36 Reviews
- 39 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (58)
Have you been to Bratislava?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bratislava
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 206 reviews, 394 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 82 reviews, 229 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 126 reviews, 161 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 112 reviews, 173 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milwaukee Intro, 102 reviews, 168 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 86 reviews, 176 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marquette Intro, 80 reviews, 151 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ottawa Intro, 67 reviews, 144 photos, 1 travelogue
- Montreal Intro, 70 reviews, 137 photos
- Kansas City Intro, 72 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues