"Open the Door to Slovakia!" Bratislava by yooperprof

Bratislava Travel Guide: 2,032 reviews and 4,537 photos

Comrades!

Bratislava is only 45 minutes from Vienna, but it feels much further away than that. More than the other cities I visited in east Central Europe - Prague and Gyor - Bratislava retains many markers of its recent communist past. Not that that is entirely a bad thing! Bratislava is a city of considerable charm and beauty, and I was glad that it wasn't overrun by the kind of tourists who visit a place just because they've heard about it on MTV.

Art on the City Walls!

Bratislava is a city with beautiful things abounding in the streetscape. An old building in the center of the city has been made into a kind of outdoor gallery, as artists have created a series of paintings for what would have otherwise been abandoned and forlorn windows. Kudos for this creative use of space!

Art on the City Walls?

Bratislava also has another form of public art - graffiti - in abundance. It's strikingly evident on the "New Bridge", the futuristic link between the fascination historic city center and the drab, mechanistic worker-suburbs on the south side of the Danube. For more of my idle musings on urban alienation, the suburbs, and the grafitti, look at my pages on the New Bridge itself in the "general tips" sections as well as some reflections on graffiti in "local customs".

• In a nutshell:Only an hour from Vienna, but it's a different world
  • Last visit to Bratislava: Jul 2003
  • Intro Updated Nov 20, 2003

• Babzz's Profile Photo
    Mar 11, 2009 at 8:12 AM

Any luck finding Slovak beers in the US? The only one I've ever seen in Canada is Golden Pheasant (Zlaty Bazant), and that's only in select beer stores mostly in areas with large European populations. It's a nice beer though.

• chbuchie's Profile Photo
    Nov 29, 2005 at 3:20 AM

Im flying to Budapest tomorrow & will stop by Bratislava a few days later, your pages are great, together with the forum replies helped me so much to prepare my trip , I cant wait to be there & will surely add my pix afterwards....

• Nov 13, 2005 at 4:44 PM

great page and tips...thanks for sharing!!

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Nov 16, 2004 at 9:10 PM

an interesting page and many great pics, I did not yet see on other pages ! I love these various signposts !

• Paul2001's Profile Photo
    Nov 4, 2004 at 5:05 PM

Wonderful photos. I am thinking a paying a visit next year.

• Zmrzlina's Profile Photo
    Aug 23, 2004 at 4:44 PM

Wonderful Bratislava insights. Slovakia is one of my favorite places on earth.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Feb 23, 2004 at 7:26 PM

I appreciate your detail of the "pulse of the place"; you are quite observant. Loved the caryatids..I always look for them. Your knowlege of architectual style is excellent. A joy to read your observations, Chet.

• deeper_blue's Profile Photo
    Feb 3, 2004 at 5:23 PM

Neat tips on Bratislava, I agree with your local customs tips, but maybe I should have stayed longer than I did and unearth more of this interesting city. Cheers

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Jan 3, 2004 at 5:35 AM

I am just back from a few days in Bratislava and I really enjoyed the city. Your excellent page brings back many memories ... Thank you! :o)

• zrim's Profile Photo
    Nov 22, 2003 at 2:22 PM

I propose that VT send youper and richiedisc on a fact finding mission to Slovakia. We need more information on the beers!

yooperprof

“from da u.p. to da world”

Badges & Stats in Bratislava

Have you been to Bratislava?

Latest Activity in Bratislava