"Mainz 57" Top 5 Page for this destination Mainz by yooperprof
Mainz Travel Guide: 318 reviews and 659 photos
Where the Main meets the Rhine and the wine is fine.
Mainz is, and has been, a cosmopolitan place ever since the Roman occupation of Germania 2000 years ago.
The Rhine River "defines" the place, in the sense that it made sense to build a city at the confluence of the Rhine and Main - and also that there is a peculiar "microclimate" which makes this region so well suited to the growing of grapes and the creation of a wine culture.
Mainz is a long way from the ocean, but because it is located on a wide and influential (!) river, it has long been linked to many places far far away.
Yes, this is a city of religious significance, the home of an Archbishopric which was at one time the most significant in Central Europe.
In the European Middle Ages, the presence of a great cathedral gave this city a wealth and sophistication that few other places could rival. And with the work of a certain printer named Johannes Gutenberg, the fame of Mainz would soon reach around the world. Not surprisingly, Gutenberg worked in the shadow of the Dom, which was one of his earliest and most important clients.
Let yourself go! Feel free to relax and have a good time! This is the fun Germany - especially during Carnival.
You might even feel like dancing.
- In a nutshell:Well worth a few days' stay - and very convenient for FRA
In the rapidly descending twilight of an early January afternoon, I didn't have time to take a moment and step inside... more travel advice
Next to the town hall stands the similiarly modernist Congress/Convention Center, amusingly called the Rheingoldhalle.... more travel advice
yooperprof's Related Pages
Mainz Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mainz am Rhein"
- "Opera and cycling in Mainz"
- "Welcome to Mainz"
- "Mainz 57"
- "Willkommen in Mainz - Welcome to Mainz"
- "A Historical German City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mainz
- Hotels in Mainz
- Transportation in Mainz
- Nightlife in Mainz
- Restaurants in Mainz
- Shopping in Mainz
- Warnings and Dangers in Mainz
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mainz
- 29 Reviews
- 89 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (57)
Have you been to Mainz?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mainz
Photos in MainzSee All Photos (89)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 206 reviews, 394 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 82 reviews, 229 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 126 reviews, 161 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 112 reviews, 173 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milwaukee Intro, 102 reviews, 168 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 86 reviews, 176 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marquette Intro, 80 reviews, 151 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ottawa Intro, 67 reviews, 144 photos, 1 travelogue
- Montreal Intro, 70 reviews, 137 photos
- Kansas City Intro, 72 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues