"Once a village, now a suburb" Top 5 Page for this destination Hafnarfjörður by yooperprof
Hafnarfjörður Travel Guide: 52 reviews and 200 photos
Hafnarfjordur presently has a population of about 20,000 - according to my Lonely Planet guide. That would make it one of the largest population centers outside of Reykjavik itself. Yet it retains its original sense of a small fishing community. This is a pleasant place to spend a hour or so while driving around the outskirts of the capital.
According to my guidebook, this was actually a trading center for the British in the 15th century, and later was controlled by the Baltic-based Hanseatic League. Now the international fishing industry seems to have taken over the seafront!
In this town, you'll see plenty of the typical Icelandic houses with corrugated tin siding. I've read that they often... more travel advice
yooperprof's Related Pages
Hafnarfjörður Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Hafnarfjörður - Reykjavík´s neighouring town."
- "Once a village, now a suburb"
- "The lava-town"
- "Hafnarfjörður my home town"
- "Four nights in Hafnarfjordur."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hafnarfjörður
- Hotels in Hafnarfjörður
- Transportation in Hafnarfjörður
- Restaurants in Hafnarfjörður
- Shopping in Hafnarfjörður
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Hafnarfjörður
- 3 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (58)
Have you been to Hafnarfjörður?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hafnarfjörður
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 206 reviews, 394 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 82 reviews, 229 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 126 reviews, 161 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 112 reviews, 173 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milwaukee Intro, 102 reviews, 168 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 86 reviews, 176 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marquette Intro, 80 reviews, 151 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ottawa Intro, 67 reviews, 144 photos, 1 travelogue
- Montreal Intro, 70 reviews, 137 photos
- Kansas City Intro, 72 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues