Amsterdam Hotel Tips by yooperprof
Amsterdam Hotels: 102,157 reviews and 1,153 photos
shiny happy people
Thanks to Priceline we were able to stay for the second half of our Amsterdam week at this new hotel property near the heart of the center of the city. Hotel Movenpick has located their new tower in a developing area, to the east of the Centraal Station. It's a ten to fifteen minute walk to the rail station, but there is also frequent tram service as well, and the hotel runs a convenient van shuttle to the station square as well.
(I've noticed on TripAdvisor that some Americans seem to feel that it's outrageous that the hotel labels itself as being in Central Amsterdam when it fact it is a fifteen minute walk to the train station. If that is indeed an issue for you, you should probably stay elsewhere.)
This upscale property caters to business travellers and those seeking a certain international standard of comfort. I've stayed at Movenpicks in Germany, and have come to associate this chain with excellent service as well. What I liked most about this Movenpick were the excellent views from our room. The helpful front desk clerk gave us a room on the 20th floor! This even though it must have been clear that we booked at the Priceline rate.
Address: Piet Heinkeade 1, Amsterdam, NL
Comparison: more expensive than average
Glassy Golden Tulip Rooms
The first three nights in Amsterdam I stayed (because of an excellent Priceline Deal) at the Gollden Tulip Amsterdam Art. The Golden Tulip side of this property offers nicely styled and comfortable rooms with very modern amenities. I stayed with a friend in a "double room" - with one double bed. We probably should have asked for a room with two twins - I know they have them - because we weren't a couple, and the "double" seemed a little small.
The Golden Tulip is certainly a hotel with many attractive design features, but the main disadvantage of the property is its location, which is located well outside the city centre, and in a neighborhood without many obvious amenities. On the positive side, there is a convenient bus stop right outside the hotel doors.
Note that the lobby here actually serves two separate "establishments": on one side, the Golden Tulip, on the other the "Tulip Inn." They are both part of the same "family of hotels" but cater to different market segments. The Golden Tulip is a moderately priced chain, a midrange "property" in terms of service and amenities. The Tulip Inn is more of a "budget plus" place - less expensive, but still with more of the "bonuses" that you find at more expensive places.
Address: Spaarndammerdijk 304
Comparison: about average
More Reviews (80)
- See All Public Art - "Lovely Boy" in the Spui
- See All Cheerful Cozy Pancake place near...
- See All Amsterdam Historical Museum
- See All Chet Baker Memorial
- See All Classic jenever house - from 1650!
yooperprof's Related Pages
Amsterdam Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "MY BIRTHPLACE"
- "God made the Dutch, but the Dutch made Holland"
- "Amsterdam - I love it!"
- "Amsterdam, is it real?"
- "Amsterdam, where the Dutch money is spend"
- "Amsterdam! The most liberal city in the World"
- "dila's new Amsterdam Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Amsterdam
- Hotels in Amsterdam
- Transportation in Amsterdam
- Nightlife in Amsterdam
- Restaurants in Amsterdam
- Shopping in Amsterdam
- Warnings and Dangers in Amsterdam
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Amsterdam
- 82 Reviews
- 229 Photos
- 8 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (57)
Have you been to Amsterdam?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Amsterdam
- Posted in Travel Chicago Forum "Re: Pilsen area Safe?"
- Wrote a Review Public Art - "Lovely Boy" in the Spui about Statues and Sculptures in Amsterdam Favorites
- Uploaded a Photo to "Public Art - "Lovely Boy" in the Spui"
- updated a Amsterdam Travelogue "Window Shopping in Amsterdam!"
- Commented on one of Igraine's Amsterdam travel pages
Read real reviews about Amsterdam Hotels!
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 206 reviews, 394 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 82 reviews, 229 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 126 reviews, 161 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 112 reviews, 173 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milwaukee Intro, 102 reviews, 168 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 86 reviews, 176 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marquette Intro, 80 reviews, 151 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ottawa Intro, 67 reviews, 144 photos, 1 travelogue
- Montreal Intro, 70 reviews, 137 photos
- Kansas City Intro, 72 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (37)
- Red Light District - De Wallen- 144 Reviews, 163 Photos
- Anne Frank House- 241 Reviews, 252 Photos
- Sex Museum- 49 Reviews, 59 Photos
- Canal Boat Tours- 189 Reviews, 307 Photos
- Coffee Shops- 123 Reviews, 132 Photos
- Rijksmuseum- 210 Reviews, 350 Photos
- Dam Square- 89 Reviews, 164 Photos
- Heineken Brewery- 98 Reviews, 139 Photos
- Van Gogh Museum- 166 Reviews, 176 Photos
- Flower Market - Bloemenmarkt- 66 Reviews, 102 Photos
See All Amsterdam Things to Do