"Libussa's Vision" Prague by yooperprof
Prague Travel Guide: 11,872 reviews and 24,810 photos
In the good old days, the beautiful Princess Libussa was wondrously blessed with the gift of prophecy. She was the granddaughter of the patriarch Czech, who had settled his people in the mystic and fertile valley of the Vltava. For a while, Princess Libussa had actually been ruler of the tribe, but ultimately she had married the cunning plowman Premysl. On a beautiful summer evening - not unlike the evenings I experienced in the summer of 2003 - Princess Libussa, her spouse Premysl, and the elders of the tribe gathered on a high bluff overlooking the Vltava. Libussa was suddenly seized with a vision of the future: "I foresee a great city whose fame will touch the stars! Just as princes and brave soldiers bow their heads when they cross the threshold of a house [in Czech, "prah"], so will they bow their heads to my city. It will be honored, noble and respected by all the world."
Alas, the good old days did not last. They never do, do they? A terrible civil war broke out between Princess Libussa's female retainers and the male partisans of Premysl. The maidens put up a strong fight; many men were killed in battle - or in bed! But ultimately, Premysl's forces gained the upper hand, and the women's army was crushed. Libussa's vision seemed unattainable.
How interesting that Prague's Castle contains its Cathedral! The sacred symbols of church and state - and of nation - are conjoined on this hilltop in an amazing and unforgettable manner. Prague's peculiar and powerful charm stems from the way in which the beliefs and values of the past have been institutionalized in art and architecture, woven into a dense urban fabric that overwhelms the senses of the visitor. "The past" isn't past here - it remains part of the present, and helps to shape the future. Libussa's vision is being realized in the twenty-first century.
- In a nutshell:A great city whose fame will touch the stars!
Nudes Descending a Staircase? or an existential statement about the vulnerability of mankind to the effects of nuclear... more travel advice
Excellent food in a medieval cellar, this restaurant shares space with an architectural book store. Where else but... more travel advice
- See All All That Jazz
- A good place to get "stuff"
- See All Wenceslas Square - National Museum
- Watch for Defenestrations
yooperprof's Related Pages
Prague Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "What a great and romantic place !"
- "The beautiful town of Prague"
- "Praha is amazing!"
- "Peramble Around Prague"
- "WOW! WHAT A WONDERFUL CITY!"
- "prague czech republic"
- "Prague-One of Europe's Best"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Prague
- Hotels in Prague
- Transportation in Prague
- Nightlife in Prague
- Restaurants in Prague
- Shopping in Prague
- Warnings and Dangers in Prague
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Prague
- 57 Reviews
- 83 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 16 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (58)
Have you been to Prague?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Prague
Photos in PragueSee All Photos (83)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 206 reviews, 394 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 82 reviews, 229 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 126 reviews, 161 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 112 reviews, 173 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milwaukee Intro, 102 reviews, 168 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 86 reviews, 176 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marquette Intro, 80 reviews, 151 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ottawa Intro, 67 reviews, 144 photos, 1 travelogue
- Montreal Intro, 70 reviews, 137 photos
- Kansas City Intro, 72 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues