"Got Melk?" Melk by yooperprof
Melk Travel Guide: 217 reviews and 850 photos
Wow. Certainly this is a place that shouts out the power and the glory of the Church - and of the Benedictene Order of Monks. An emblem of the Baroque, the current Melk Stift, or Abbey, dates from the early 18th century when an energetic Abbot, Berthold Dietmayr began the systematic reconstruction of the entire hilltop monastery complex. Thank you, Brother Berthold!
A view of the monastery from the river-side road: on sunny days it glistens like an apparition, which I'm sure was the original intention.
- In a nutshell:Probably the finest monastery in Austria
another house down on the riverside, this one looks as if it has been carved directly out of the stone that makes up its... more travel advice
danicng shapes on the garden lawn more travel advice
yooperprof's Related Pages
Melk Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Wonderful Melk"
- "Melk, a small town at the Danube Valley"
- "St Colman and Melk - The Irish Connection"
- "Melk & its Famous Abbey"
- "Wachau - The Famous Town of Melk"
- "Melk, a beautiful place and its baroque monastery"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Melk
- Hotels in Melk
- Transportation in Melk
- Restaurants in Melk
- Shopping in Melk
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Melk
- 13 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (61)
Have you been to Melk?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Melk
Photos in MelkSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 205 reviews, 391 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 82 reviews, 229 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 126 reviews, 161 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 112 reviews, 173 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milwaukee Intro, 102 reviews, 168 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 86 reviews, 176 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marquette Intro, 80 reviews, 151 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ottawa Intro, 67 reviews, 144 photos, 1 travelogue
- Montreal Intro, 70 reviews, 137 photos
- Kansas City Intro, 72 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues