Vienna Nightlife Tips by yooperprof
Vienna Nightlife: 267 reviews and 310 photos
"Art is one of the children of Freedom"
In Vienna - as elsewhere in Europe - "People's Opera" is no oxymoron, but instead a vital and appreciated part of local culture. I didn't get a chance to see a production here, but I intend to on my next visit. This is the place to see classic productions of Viennese operetta, particularly repertoire masterpieces by the Strauss family, Franz Lehar, or Sigmund Romberg. (They were renovating the Volkoper during the summer of 2003; it may no longer look like this!)
You and the Night and the Music
The Tunnel is one of the gems of Vienna, a place where you can hear excellent live music in the casual atmosphere of a student eating (and drinking) house. I discovered The Tunnel largely by accident, but it became a magnet drawing me back week after week. I was especially fond of the open mic jazz jams on Sunday and most Monday nights. It's wonderful to see so many talented players, and equally wonderful to see an enthusiastic audience for live jazz among the young people of Vienna. My favorite performer sang almost every week, a young fellow with a slightly accented but charming baritone who sang in a style that was part Tony Bennett, part Tom Waits. Some good sax players, too.
Dress Code: Whatever you want to wear
Directions: It's not far from the main "campus" of the University of Vienna.
Theme: Live Music
the lavender menace
"Why Not" is the name of a popular gay club in Vienna's old city. It's conveniently located, close to public transportation, and the cover charge and drink prices are reasonable. All that said, I have to say that I never really had all that great of a time at "Why Not". In the eyes of this humble midwestern queer, there was a great deal of posing going on here - and it wasn't the case that the people doing the posing really merited the pose that they assumed!! In other words: if you like gay/queer attitude, this might be the place for you, but if you are looking for a fun place to relax, dance, maybe meet a few local folk - well, good luck to you if you come here!!
Dress Code: It was my impression that Austrian queers follow a real dress code: a kind of dowdy "tough dude" look seems to be prevalent. If you want to fit in, jeans and a tee shirt seems to be the uniform of choice. Oh - and whatever you do, don't smile or otherwise give the impression that you're having a pleasant time - it's definitely not the Viennese way!
Address: 1 Tiefer Graben
Lesben & Schwulenhaus
The Cafe Willendorf is an excellent place to gather information about Vienna's GLBTQ community, and to enjoy an relaxing evening drink or a tasty meal in pleasant and low-key surroundings. This place is cozy and friendly. The Cafe Willendorf is at the Rosa-Lila Villa, a place historically significant in the struggle for queer rights in Austria, and still an important community center today.
Dress Code: Casual and comfy.
Address: 102 Linke Wienziele, 6th District
Directions: Just across from U-Bahn station Pilgramgasse
Theme: Family Spot
More Reviews (122)
- See All Piaristenkirche - memorial column
- See All Karlskirche
- See All A trusty, comfy cafe in the student...
- Kino Unter Sternen - Cinema Under the...
yooperprof's Related Pages
Vienna Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My birthplace & the place where I feel at home !"
- "VIENNA, AUSTRIA ~ MUSIC IS IN THE AIR !"
- "Vienna and its never-ending history"
- "Just More then Mozart, Strauss und Sacher torte"
- "VIENNA AND THE PASSION OF ART"
- "Still a city of dreams"
- "VIENNESE WHIRL"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Vienna
- Hotels in Vienna
- Transportation in Vienna
- Nightlife in Vienna
- Restaurants in Vienna
- Shopping in Vienna
- Warnings and Dangers in Vienna
- See All...
Explore the World
- Roxas City
- Beverley Beach Hotels
- Stavros Hotels
- Dupak Hotels
- São Paulo Hotels
Badges & Stats in Vienna
- 126 Reviews
- 161 Photos
- 20 Forum posts
- 19 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (57)
Have you been to Vienna?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Vienna
- Posted in Travel Chicago Forum "Re: Anybody Coming to Chicago?"
- Commented on one of Jmill42's Vienna travel pages
- updated a Vienna Travel Page "A Wiener Melange"
- Uploaded a Photo to "The Rainbow Parade - Gay Pride"
- Wrote a Review Piaristenkirche - memorial column about churches in Vienna Off The Beaten Path
Photos in ViennaSee All Photos (161)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 200 reviews, 374 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 82 reviews, 229 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 126 reviews, 161 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 112 reviews, 173 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 86 reviews, 176 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milwaukee Intro, 101 reviews, 159 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marquette Intro, 80 reviews, 151 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ottawa Intro, 67 reviews, 144 photos, 1 travelogue
- Montreal Intro, 70 reviews, 137 photos
- Kansas City Intro, 72 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (37)
Latest Vienna hotel reviews
- Am Operneck
- 1 Review & Opinion
Latest: May 8, 2006
- Rosen Wieden
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 25, 2012
- The Ring, Vienna's Casual Luxury Hotel
- 243 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 14, 2013
- Hotel Carina
- 18 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 15, 2013
- Ibis Wien Schoenbrunnerstrasse
- 104 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 13, 2013
- Pension Baronesse
- 59 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 23, 2013
- Turmherberge Don Bosco
- 4 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 28, 2012
- Hotel Senator
- 159 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 15, 2013
- Hotel Admiral
- 21 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 29, 2013
- Hotel Capri
- 311 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 16, 2013
- Mailberger Hof
- 34 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 1, 2013
- Hostel Panda
- 30 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 8, 2013
- Park Inn Uno City Vienna
- 95 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 31, 2013
- Mercure Imlauer Nestroy Wien Hotel
- 117 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 15, 2013
- Hotel-Pension Shermin
- 248 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 11, 2013
- Schonbrunn- 289 Reviews, 533 Photos
- Stephansdom- 231 Reviews, 455 Photos
- Ringstrasse- 172 Reviews, 277 Photos
- Hofburg- 225 Reviews, 469 Photos
- Belvedere- 167 Reviews, 292 Photos
- Hundertwasser- 109 Reviews, 207 Photos
- Oper - Staatsoper- 96 Reviews, 158 Photos
- Kunsthistorisches Museum - KHM- 53 Reviews, 124 Photos
- Karlskirche - St Charles Church- 91 Reviews, 155 Photos
- Jewish Vienna- 29 Reviews, 63 Photos
See All Vienna Things to Do