"Broughton Castle - Close to Banbury" Banbury by yooperprof
Banbury Travel Guide: 64 reviews and 215 photos
A remarkable place, still inhabited by the Fiennes (pronounced "fine") Family who have been in residence here since 1448. Yes - it is family of Ralph and Joseph and Ranulph, among many others. And if you come here on an "open day," the man tearing your ticket at the gate may very well be Lord Saye and Sele himself - as it was on the day in 1991 that I visited here.
Simon Jenkins give Broughton Castle his peak rating of five stars, and says that it showcases "Elizabethan opulence round a medieval core."
The house has much historical significance - i.e., in the 1630s, leaders of the disenchanted gentry and minor aristocracy met here to plot against King Charles I.
Elaborate gardens as see from one of the Castle's "turrets". The moat is visible as well - this place truly deserves its "castle" name.
yooperprof's Related Pages
Banbury Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "No place like Banbury"
- "Market town of Banbury"
- "Broughton Castle - Close to Banbury"
- "Older than the nursery rhyme"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Banbury
- Hotels in Banbury
- Transportation in Banbury
- Nightlife in Banbury
- Restaurants in Banbury
- Shopping in Banbury
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Banbury
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (57)
Have you been to Banbury?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Banbury
Photos in BanburySee All Photos (3)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 206 reviews, 394 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 82 reviews, 229 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 126 reviews, 161 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 112 reviews, 173 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milwaukee Intro, 102 reviews, 168 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 86 reviews, 176 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marquette Intro, 80 reviews, 151 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ottawa Intro, 67 reviews, 144 photos, 1 travelogue
- Montreal Intro, 70 reviews, 137 photos
- Kansas City Intro, 72 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues