"A Fine Cathedral, Castle, and University" Durham by yooperprof
Durham Travel Guide: 231 reviews and 559 photos
Durham is a beautiful place to visit if you wish to have a sense of the continuity of English history. The Cathedral and Castle complement the landscape and dominate the town in a manner which would have satisfied their Norman creators nine centuries ago. There are few places in the North of England - anywhere in England, for that matter, which preserve so well a pre-Industrial sense of self-sufficiency.
- In a nutshell:Unspoilt by the Industrial Revolution and Modern Planning
Durham Cathedral is the site of the shrine of the great St. Cuthbert, famous 7th century Bishop of nearby Lindisfarne.... more travel advice
If you saw the film "Brassed Off" you know that they take their Brass Bands seriously in the North of England. I love... more travel advice
yooperprof's Related Pages
Durham Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A trip down memory lane for sourbugger"
- "Daytripping to Durham"
- "Durham - great for students"
- "Rachel and Joe's Wedding 24th July 2004"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Durham
- Hotels in Durham
- Transportation in Durham
- Nightlife in Durham
- Restaurants in Durham
- Shopping in Durham
- Warnings and Dangers in Durham
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Durham
- 4 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (57)
Have you been to Durham?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Durham
Photos in DurhamSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 206 reviews, 394 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 82 reviews, 229 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 126 reviews, 161 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 112 reviews, 173 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milwaukee Intro, 102 reviews, 168 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 86 reviews, 176 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marquette Intro, 80 reviews, 151 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ottawa Intro, 67 reviews, 144 photos, 1 travelogue
- Montreal Intro, 70 reviews, 137 photos
- Kansas City Intro, 72 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues