"An Interesting and Unusual Northumberland Town" Hexham by yooperprof

Hexham Travel Guide: 18 reviews and 82 photos

The Rainbow Bring Good Vibes to Hexham!

Hexham is a cheerful market town in Northumberland with an interesting past and an appealing present. Its Abbey Church, Market Square and shopping precincts provide Hexham with a highly satisfying sense of place. It is also an excellent base for touring deeper Northumberland, especially Hadrian's Wall, which is readily accessible at numerous points nearby.

Bowling Green in the Town Park

Weird Anglo-Saxon Carvings

These odd figures were carved into the stone altarpiece of the old Saxon Church in Hexham. The Abbey Church has some of the best Saxon relics I've seen anywhere in England.

• In a nutshell:Don't Miss the Saxon Carvings in the Abbey Church!
  • Last visit to Hexham: Jun 1994
  • Intro Updated Feb 22, 2003

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Mar 5, 2010 at 6:22 PM

How many of the 1000 have you seen? Hexham's a good place to start.

• uglyscot's Profile Photo
    Feb 18, 2008 at 9:52 AM

I love looking at old churches, and Hexham seems to be more interesting than many. I did a tour of some in Norfolk and Suffolk two years ago and found them most interesting.

• lou31's Profile Photo
    Sep 18, 2007 at 7:10 AM

I always love finding pages on these little places. I enjoyed your pages on Hexham and will now be off to look at more of your UK pages...CHEERS

• nickandchris's Profile Photo
    Feb 21, 2007 at 7:41 AM

An interesting page on a little known area.Planning on a visit over Easter.

• Mar 30, 2006 at 4:45 AM

I really should go back, I forgot what a lovely town it is!

• zizkov's Profile Photo
    Feb 14, 2006 at 2:08 PM

Enjoyed your pages and travelogues. This marauding Pict is considering a visit - but it looks like rain (no surprise there).

• roamer61's Profile Photo
    Jan 27, 2006 at 8:45 AM

Very interesting. I am actually looking into visiting the region in the fall (Septem-October) this year.

• Djinn76's Profile Photo
    Feb 28, 2005 at 12:28 PM

Arrived on you page by looking for the new poison garden of the Duchess of Northumberland... Hexham looks like a really nice town but unfortunately not what I was looking for, I keep searching ;)

• craic's Profile Photo
    Aug 30, 2004 at 8:14 AM

I'd love to see a rood screen. I know there are very few left.

• zrim's Profile Photo
    Mar 4, 2003 at 7:12 AM

Thanks for the tip on the Jenkins church guidebook. I think he must be right about the Abbey, it looks pretty neat.

yooperprof

“from da u.p. to da world”

Badges & Stats in Hexham