"The Thing at the Big Water" Top 5 Page for this destination Þingvellir by yooperprof

Þingvellir Travel Guide: 63 reviews and 319 photos

Getting here is half the fun!

I'm sure it wasn't the best idea I've ever had - trying to drive to the rift valley where Iceland's largest lake is located in my small rental Toyota. Especially on a back road. Especially on a day after a snow fall, when the road was still largely covered in icy slush. Thank goodness I'm a Yooper! Thank goodness I have decent winter driving skills! Thank goodness I was lucky!

It was a dark and stormy day. . .

The dramatic landscape, though, made it all worthwhile. Something deeply dramatic and satisfying about the harsh rugged interior of Iceland - you have a little awe for the rugged people who have made this island their home. And what were they thinking when they decided to locate their main "talking place" - the antecedent of the world's parliaments - here in the interior of the country, far removed from the accessible coastline?

Big sky, big water, big snow. . .

• Last visit to Þingvellir: Mar 2006
  • Intro Written Apr 10, 2006

• agapotravel's Profile Photo
    Nov 25, 2007 at 5:54 PM

Hi again! We are back from Iceland. We absolutely loved it! We weren't driving in snow like you. :-) Check out my pages and let me know what you think. Thanks!

• nickandchris's Profile Photo
    Sep 17, 2007 at 7:14 AM

Would love to visit Iceland but definitely not in winter!!!!

• cwhit21's Profile Photo
    Nov 12, 2006 at 11:40 PM

I heard from a few that they had the nicest hot springs, did you hit them up?

• chewy3326's Profile Photo
    May 10, 2006 at 7:11 PM

Visiting Iceland in winter seems like quite an adventure... with the rental car, freezing roads and all, good thing nothing bad happened!

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Apr 15, 2006 at 11:40 AM

Speaking of desolation! Interesting but not my cup of tea...I dislike winters here and they are really rather mild.

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Apr 13, 2006 at 10:20 AM

Good thing you are very skilled at driving in the snow!

yooperprof

“from da u.p. to da world”

Badges & Stats in Þingvellir

Have you been to Þingvellir?

Latest Activity in Þingvellir