"My Own Private Oslo" Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo by yooperprof
Oslo Travel Guide: 2,957 reviews and 7,202 photos
A few years ago I realized that Oslo was one of "my" cities. It's a place where I feel a basic instinctive connection. It's not the most beautiful or cultured city in Scandinavia, let alone Europe, but it just feels "right" to me in a way that Stockholm or Paris do not. I'm comfortable here, in this climate and atmosphere, and with the people of this city, in a remarkable way. I'm not saying that I lived in Oslo (or Christiania) in a previous life. But don't ask me to be rational about this place. Who knows - maybe I'll live here in a future life - if not this one. So far I've only had short visits to Oslo, but if the opportunity ever arises for me to spend a more considerable period of time in the city, I would take it.
In accord with my sentiments, I've decided that I want to visit Oslo in every month of the year. So far I have seven out of twelve: February, May, June, July, September, November and December. A lot of people I know wouldn't consider visiting Oslo in the winter months, but "dommage" for them. I think I prefer visiting in the "off season" - Norwegians are natural winter folk. And even on those sadly short winter afternoons, there's a particularly beautiful light in Oslo, especially down at the harbor.
One of the most impressive things about Oslo is the quality of the sculpture and public art projects that abound in its numerous parks and gardens. The most well-known is the justifiably famous Vigelund Park, a short tram ride out from the center of the city. Who can resist the appeal of the mountain of babies?
Say "Norwegian" and most people will picture a tow-headed blonde. But not all Norwegians are tall Vikings - though to be sure many are. There are plenty of darker-complected, brown haired Norske - even if many of them have lighter color eyes than you would find in southern Europe (i.e. Italy). And in Oslo - and a few of Norway's larger cities - there are considerable communities of "people of color." (I believe that Oslo has about 60,000 "immigrants".) Like other countries across Europe, Norway is discovering a new identity in the 21st century as a multi-racial state.
- Pros:An international capital in a moderately sized city
- In a nutshell:A City in a Forest
While the University of Oslo has a handsome classical building located in a strategic location downtown, on Karl Johans... more travel advice
Auralux is an east side night club conveniently located in the basement of the popular SüdØst Cafe, located at the... more travel advice
- See All Gardermoen - Radisson Hotel
- See All Holocaust Museum - Quisling Residence
- See All Sculpture - Richard Serra's Steel
- See All Affordable accomodation in the East
yooperprof's Related Pages
Oslo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "OSLO - NORWAY´S CAPITAL CITY."
- "Hilde's tourist/expat guide"
- "The fantastic capital of Norway"
- "My Own Private Oslo"
- "Winter Weekend in Oslo"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Oslo
- Hotels in Oslo
- Transportation in Oslo
- Nightlife in Oslo
- Restaurants in Oslo
- Shopping in Oslo
- Warnings and Dangers in Oslo
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Oslo
- 112 Reviews
- 173 Photos
- 33 Forum posts
- 33 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (60)
Have you been to Oslo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Oslo
- Posted in Travel Mackinac Island Forum "Re: Is it worth going to Mackinac..."
- Commented on one of marielexoteria's Oslo travel pages
- Wrote a Review University of Oslo - Blindern Campus in Oslo Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "University of Oslo - Blindern Campus"
- updated a Oslo Travelogue "Shop Windows of Oslo"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 206 reviews, 394 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 82 reviews, 229 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 126 reviews, 161 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 112 reviews, 173 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milwaukee Intro, 102 reviews, 168 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 86 reviews, 176 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marquette Intro, 80 reviews, 151 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ottawa Intro, 67 reviews, 144 photos, 1 travelogue
- Montreal Intro, 70 reviews, 137 photos
- Kansas City Intro, 72 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues