"My Own Private Oslo" Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo by yooperprof

Oslo Travel Guide: 2,957 reviews and 7,202 photos

Seasons of Oslo

A few years ago I realized that Oslo was one of "my" cities. It's a place where I feel a basic instinctive connection. It's not the most beautiful or cultured city in Scandinavia, let alone Europe, but it just feels "right" to me in a way that Stockholm or Paris do not. I'm comfortable here, in this climate and atmosphere, and with the people of this city, in a remarkable way. I'm not saying that I lived in Oslo (or Christiania) in a previous life. But don't ask me to be rational about this place. Who knows - maybe I'll live here in a future life - if not this one. So far I've only had short visits to Oslo, but if the opportunity ever arises for me to spend a more considerable period of time in the city, I would take it.

In accord with my sentiments, I've decided that I want to visit Oslo in every month of the year. So far I have seven out of twelve: February, May, June, July, September, November and December. A lot of people I know wouldn't consider visiting Oslo in the winter months, but "dommage" for them. I think I prefer visiting in the "off season" - Norwegians are natural winter folk. And even on those sadly short winter afternoons, there's a particularly beautiful light in Oslo, especially down at the harbor.

A City of Public Art

One of the most impressive things about Oslo is the quality of the sculpture and public art projects that abound in its numerous parks and gardens. The most well-known is the justifiably famous Vigelund Park, a short tram ride out from the center of the city. Who can resist the appeal of the mountain of babies?

Norwegians

Say "Norwegian" and most people will picture a tow-headed blonde. But not all Norwegians are tall Vikings - though to be sure many are. There are plenty of darker-complected, brown haired Norske - even if many of them have lighter color eyes than you would find in southern Europe (i.e. Italy). And in Oslo - and a few of Norway's larger cities - there are considerable communities of "people of color." (I believe that Oslo has about 60,000 "immigrants".) Like other countries across Europe, Norway is discovering a new identity in the 21st century as a multi-racial state.

• Pros:An international capital in a moderately sized city
  • Cons:$$$$
  • In a nutshell:A City in a Forest
  • Last visit to Oslo: Nov 2007
  • Intro Updated Jan 22, 2008

• Ekaterinburg's Profile Photo
    Jul 17, 2009 at 4:36 PM

Oslo seems to have got under your skin and this page seems to get under Oslo's skin. Reading it has given me a real feel for the city and especially the east side. Thanks :))

• Jan 26, 2008 at 5:23 AM

Haha I like your Warnings Or Dangers - tip! Nice restaurant tips - it's been ages since I was in Oslo, not exactly my favourite Norwegian city!;o)

• craic's Profile Photo
    Jan 26, 2008 at 4:55 AM

you are living high on the hog in norway - luckily not hungry tonight - had dinner

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Nov 15, 2007 at 8:25 AM

Hi have enjoyed your tips showing us Oslo, do hope to get there myself before too long!

• Nov 21, 2006 at 6:21 AM

Visited in November very impressed by the city. Cafe Celsius was fantastic. Good food and not too expensive by Oslo's standards. The Desserts were out of this world, I highly recomend the chocolate moose. Very enjoyble meal in relaxed surroundings.

• xantylaol's Profile Photo
    Oct 14, 2006 at 11:28 AM

Thanks, I really appreciate good food and try to show that in my pictures. And I agree on the lutefisk by the way... Exttensive pages you've set up - great!

• hassan_abu's Profile Photo
    Mar 28, 2006 at 9:23 PM

You really enjoyed your stay in Oslo. Great tips. Abu

• suvanki's Profile Photo
    Jan 31, 2006 at 2:04 PM

Enjoying this page, many interesting tips to help me organise our 'girls' break next weekend! Best Wishes, Sue x

• vesna04's Profile Photo
    Nov 8, 2005 at 7:49 AM

Loved your tips. The statues seem very interesting. Cheers, Vesna

• bpacker's Profile Photo
    Jun 30, 2005 at 8:40 AM

Ah yes, Vigelandsparken. I love the sculptures there. Great page on Oslo btw, very comprehensive tips you got over here.

yooperprof Visits Here Frequently!

yooperprof

“from da u.p. to da world”

Badges & Stats in Oslo