"Log Island City" Stockholm by yooperprof
Stockholm Travel Guide: 4,061 reviews and 9,959 photos
This flower stall really brightens up the gray of a winter day. It's at the Slussen transportation hub, and was right outside my hotel. I was very impressed: every day, before dawn, workers would assemble it from scratch. Special heated trucks delivered the flowers which would be on sale through the daylight hours. Then, at five, the truck would return and take away the unsold flowers, and workmen would disassemble the stall for the night. You don't really appreciate flowers until you lived through a northern winter!
The Swedes themselves don't agree on the etymology of their capital city, but one convincing explanation connects it to the logs (stockar) which were used to fortify the small island (holme) on which the great medieval chieftain Birger Jarl created the castle known as "Tre Kronor," the Three Crowns. Birger Jarl first used the name "Stockholm" in two letters which he wrote (!) in 1252, thus enabling the well-fortified Stockholmers of today to celebrate the 750th anniversary of their city in 2002.
There are several places from which to gain a topographical sense of this archipelageous city, but one of the best vantage points is certainly the winding and intricate walking path that skirts the clifftop on Södermalm. It goes by the name of Monteliusvägen, and has several "lookouts" giving great views of the waters and landmasses beyond.
- Pros:It's one of the most beautiful cities I've seen
- In a nutshell:History and Geography have given great blessings to this place!
Christmas is a big deal in Stockholm. Holiday concerts abound, and candles burn (or glow electrically) from almost every... more travel advice
One of the treasures of the Great Church is this sculpture by 15th century Swedish master Bernt Notke. It celebrates a... more travel advice
- See All A tidy, smoke-free cafe on...
- See All Great place for bric-a-brac and whatnots
- See All A great neighborhood bar in Sodermalm
- See All Stortorget
yooperprof's Related Pages
Stockholm Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Wonderful Stockholm"
- "My own water baby"
- "Stockholm in 5 days"
- "STOCKHOLM - THE CITY OF BRIDGES!"
- "Stockholm - beauty on water"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Stockholm
- Hotels in Stockholm
- Transportation in Stockholm
- Nightlife in Stockholm
- Restaurants in Stockholm
- Shopping in Stockholm
- Warnings and Dangers in Stockholm
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Stockholm
- 58 Reviews
- 60 Photos
- 10 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (57)
Have you been to Stockholm?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Stockholm
Photos in StockholmSee All Photos (60)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 206 reviews, 394 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 82 reviews, 229 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 126 reviews, 161 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 112 reviews, 173 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milwaukee Intro, 102 reviews, 168 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 86 reviews, 176 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marquette Intro, 80 reviews, 151 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ottawa Intro, 67 reviews, 144 photos, 1 travelogue
- Montreal Intro, 70 reviews, 137 photos
- Kansas City Intro, 72 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues