"Home of the Big Danish Toll-Booth" Helsingør by yooperprof
Helsingør Travel Guide: 149 reviews and 441 photos
But you know, you can't trust everything you read by that Will Shakespeare!
For example, the real Danish prince Hamlet never set foot in "Elsinore" (aka Helsingor) Castle, since it wasn't built until the late 16th century. It was never a medieval castle; you can walk on the ramparts all you want, and you'll never come across the ghost of Claudius.
King Frederic II of Denmark started construction on a castle here in the 1570s. It was intended to be a big Danish toll-booth, collecting the royal fee for passing through the Øresund from all sorts of passing ships. It was a massive project, and much "in the news" in Shakespeare's life. No doubt when the young playwright was looking around for good Danish place-names, "Elsinore" was something that many members of his audience would have been familiar with.
I was there on a rather grey and gloomy day in May 2006. Perfect Hamlet weather.
The town of Helsingør. It's prospered over the years because of the tourists coming in search of Hamlet - apparently there's even a Hamlet cemetery nearby! And also the town is popular with Swedish visitors who come over on the ferry for the day in search of relatively inexpensive Danish booze.
These two contemporary sculptures seem to be waiting for a bus outside Elsinore Castle. I'm not sure what the story is... more travel advice
yooperprof's Related Pages
Helsingør Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Helsingør, Hamlet's little Hometown"
- "To be or not to be"
- "Helsingor and Hamlets Castle"
- "HELSINGOR OR ELSINOR"
- "Helsingor or Elsinore"
- "Lively old town with Unesco World Heritage site!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Helsingør
- Hotels in Helsingør
- Transportation in Helsingør
- Nightlife in Helsingør
- Restaurants in Helsingør
- Shopping in Helsingør
- Warnings and Dangers in Helsingør
- See All...
Explore the World
- Doheny State Beach Hotels
- Las Mareas Hotels
- Bad Windsheim
- San Diego
- Samanabad Hotels
- Siem Reap
- Isola di Ponza
- Estado de Colima
- Korblex Hotels
- Prachuap Khiri Khan
- Diamond Head State Monument Hotels
- Noordwijk aan Zee Hotels
Badges & Stats in Helsingør
- 2 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (57)
Have you been to Helsingør?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Helsingør
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 200 reviews, 374 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 82 reviews, 229 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 126 reviews, 161 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 112 reviews, 173 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 86 reviews, 176 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milwaukee Intro, 101 reviews, 159 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marquette Intro, 80 reviews, 151 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ottawa Intro, 67 reviews, 144 photos, 1 travelogue
- Montreal Intro, 70 reviews, 137 photos
- Kansas City Intro, 72 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues