"Highly Hygge!" Copenhagen by yooperprof

Copenhagen Travel Guide: 3,906 reviews and 9,834 photos

I returned to Denmark for the third time in July 2009 at the time of the Copenhagen Jazz Festival - I'm a big fan. It was also a great opportunity do explore Frederiksberg Kommun with one of the savvy local experts, the cunning Razmaatac. He helped me conduct significant research into Danish zymurgy, for which I will be eternally grateful. (My first visit to Kobenhavn was in May 2006, the second time was in January 2007.)

There's something about Copenhagen and its people which is very pleasing to me. So much so that it's now my fifth most "tipped" place on VT. (The others are Vienna, Chicago, Oslo and my own home town of Marquette.)

Copenhagen has a particularly active and social contingent of VT-ers. I think that says a lot about the comfort and ease of the city - that here there's a significant group of people here who want to make it comfortable and easy for visitors. A very hospitable place!

Cozy and amicable - two apt adjectives for Denmark's capital city. This was once one of the great trading centers of the world, and the city still infuses the cosmopolitan nature of a port with the warmth and intimacy that sailors would have enjoyed after a long voyage around the world.

Port of call

Nyhavn was originally a warehouse zone for ships returning from Africa, China and the ports of the Balitc. For the first part of the twentieth century it was a notorious red light district, famous for prostitution, gambling dens, and drug abuse. Now it's the favorite postcard image of Copenhagen, lined with outdoor cafes, and host to convivial VT meet-ups on a regular basis.

There's a metaphor there searching to emerge!

• Last visit to Copenhagen: Jul 2009
  • Intro Updated Sep 21, 2009

• yooperprof's Profile Photo
    Sep 5, 2012 at 6:00 AM

Copenhagen's a great city!

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Sep 4, 2012 at 8:41 PM

Great page

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Oct 21, 2009 at 2:06 PM

Me again, checking back for updates that you have added to this page since February 1, 2007. I see you've been to Ørestad in the meantime. While I was looking you changed your member photo -- you survived the Hayes Corn Maze?

• TheView's Profile Photo
    Jul 21, 2009 at 8:39 PM

I wonder if they get to keep the furry hats? -No We didn´t get to keep them :(

• RafaelTheSecond's Profile Photo
    Oct 8, 2007 at 5:04 PM

I have nice danish friends and your pages makes me really in the mood to go there as soon as possible!;)

• Razmataac's Profile Photo
    Jan 28, 2007 at 6:56 PM

Hehehehe. I know I can't wait to see them in Belin next Sunday! Lucky me!

• jo104's Profile Photo
    Sep 8, 2006 at 2:50 AM

Great Copenhagen pages I loved it hear & fancy one of those tiaras :-) hello from London - Jo

• littlesam1's Profile Photo
    Jul 18, 2006 at 9:53 AM

I see that you saw all of the important sites in Copenhagen including our buddy Claus. I was here two years ago and he made me feel welcome also. Great page.

• Jul 2, 2006 at 11:55 AM

Hiya! Great page! I am so looking forward to going to C'hagen next month, and MJ's coffee and internet sounds like my kinda place! Cheers, Mariajoy :))

• starship's Profile Photo
    Jun 13, 2006 at 10:47 AM

Good info. & observataions. We Kobenhavn last Aug., 2005; hope you will stop by & have at look at my pages!

yooperprof

“from da u.p. to da world”

Badges & Stats in Copenhagen

Have you been to Copenhagen?

Latest Activity in Copenhagen