"Highly Hygge!" Top 5 Page for this destination Copenhagen by yooperprof
Copenhagen Travel Guide: 3,931 reviews and 9,749 photos
I returned to Denmark for the third time in July 2009 at the time of the Copenhagen Jazz Festival - I'm a big fan. It was also a great opportunity do explore Frederiksberg Kommun with one of the savvy local experts, the cunning Razmaatac. He helped me conduct significant research into Danish zymurgy, for which I will be eternally grateful. (My first visit to Kobenhavn was in May 2006, the second time was in January 2007.)
There's something about Copenhagen and its people which is very pleasing to me. So much so that it's now my fifth most "tipped" place on VT. (The others are Vienna, Chicago, Oslo and my own home town of Marquette.)
Copenhagen has a particularly active and social contingent of VT-ers. I think that says a lot about the comfort and ease of the city - that here there's a significant group of people here who want to make it comfortable and easy for visitors. A very hospitable place!
Cozy and amicable - two apt adjectives for Denmark's capital city. This was once one of the great trading centers of the world, and the city still infuses the cosmopolitan nature of a port with the warmth and intimacy that sailors would have enjoyed after a long voyage around the world.
Nyhavn was originally a warehouse zone for ships returning from Africa, China and the ports of the Balitc. For the first part of the twentieth century it was a notorious red light district, famous for prostitution, gambling dens, and drug abuse. Now it's the favorite postcard image of Copenhagen, lined with outdoor cafes, and host to convivial VT meet-ups on a regular basis.
There's a metaphor there searching to emerge!
New residential campus architecture in the Ørestad North section of the city. Part of the so-called "Housing Snake"... more travel advice
Opened in early 2009, designed by the famous French architect Jean Nouvel. The blue is a "trademark" of the architect.... more travel advice
- See All The Layer Cake Bakery
- The largest shopping mall in...
- See All VTers' haven in Nørreport
- See All Modern Art Haven
- See All It's a small world after all!
yooperprof's Related Pages
Copenhagen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Windy-ful Copenhagen"
- "COPENHAGEN ON THE CHEAP"
- "Operas and cycling in Copenhagen"
- "THE ROYAL CITY OF COPENHAGEN"
- "Highly Hygge!"
- "Copenhagen city of Absalon"
- "little mermaid?s city"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Copenhagen
- Hotels in Copenhagen
- Transportation in Copenhagen
- Nightlife in Copenhagen
- Restaurants in Copenhagen
- Shopping in Copenhagen
- Warnings and Dangers in Copenhagen
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Copenhagen
- 71 Reviews
- 119 Photos
- 24 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (114)
Have you been to Copenhagen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Copenhagen
- updated a Copenhagen Travel Page "Highly Hygge!"
- Posted in Travel Chicago Forum "Re: Where to stay?"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Christian IV's Town Palace"
- Wrote a Review New Architecture - Ørestad - University Gardens about Architecture in Copenhagen Favorites
- Commented on one of Nemorino's Copenhagen travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 205 reviews, 391 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 82 reviews, 229 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 126 reviews, 161 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 112 reviews, 173 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milwaukee Intro, 102 reviews, 168 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 86 reviews, 176 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marquette Intro, 80 reviews, 151 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ottawa Intro, 67 reviews, 144 photos, 1 travelogue
- Montreal Intro, 70 reviews, 137 photos
- Kansas City Intro, 72 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues