"I Dream of Lofoten" Top 5 Page for this destination Lofoten by yooperprof

Lofoten Travel Guide: 123 reviews and 294 photos

Open Your Eyes and Dream

Sometimes my travel instinct - my travel "gut" - gives me odd instructions to visit a certain place. Before summer of 2002, I had never heard of Lofoten, but it suddenly became clearly pressing to me that I make a visit to these offshore Norwegian islands. Why? I couldn't really tell you. I don't have any Norwegian ancestry, I don't have any real interest in fish or fisheries, I certainly didn't know anyone in Lofoten. But I heard stories of the place from Norwegian friends, I saw photos of Lofoten in books and on VT, and I even started to have dreams of this place. It became a very important locus in my inner mindscape. Has that ever happened to you?

Islands of the Mind

I think everyone has their own private "mythological geography": places where we act and re-enact our own psycho-traumatic dramas. (Maybe I'm a little more psycho-traumatic than most. . . .) Islands have always had a special place in my own "mythos" - places of simultaneous yearning and contentment. Ironic perhaps, in light of the fact that I grew up "in the heart of the heart of the country". Like Dorothy Gale, I'm a black-and-white Kansan in search of a technicolor paradise. No doubt about it: my "Oz" would certainly be on an island. Perhaps that's part of the attraction of Lofoten for me.

streaky rocks

The rocky coast of Moskenesøya - the southernmost island of Lofoten - reminds me of some of the shoreline of Lake Superior close to where I live. In both places, the underlying rock strata is very very old - billions and billions of years. It's interesting how other minerals are embedded in the fundamental granite - here is a prominent streak of white rock that stretches visably a long distance. (My guidebook to Moskenesøya says that this is "white pegmatite" and was created during cataclysmic geologic events "about 500 billion years ago.")

• Pros:Still unspoiled, quiet
  • Last visit to Lofoten: Jun 2003
  • Intro Updated Aug 22, 2003

• May 12, 2008 at 11:26 AM

The ATM (still the only one in this part of Lofoten) has been moved to the petrol station!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Oct 22, 2006 at 12:29 AM

Fine photos and texts! Yes, there must be some kind of story behind those two fishing museums. The two Shock-Haired-Peter museums here in Frankfurt are just now being merged after 30 years, since the feuds of a generation ago are no longer any hindrance.

• bilgeez's Profile Photo
    Jun 6, 2006 at 10:08 AM

Holy mackerel! You are a cod! BTW smashing outfit! What was that for? The fairy party? One serious question, do they have hot springs on Lofoton? Didn't notice that you mentioned that.

• travelfrosch's Profile Photo
    May 30, 2006 at 5:59 PM

Enough with the puns, for Cod's sake! 8) Cheers, Mark

• GoodGirl16's Profile Photo
    Apr 25, 2006 at 9:29 AM

Really really nice pages on Lofoten !! I wish so much that i would get the chance to visit there really really soon lol

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Nov 12, 2005 at 4:32 AM

HI! Just saw your fisherman's cottage on front page of VT. Loved that page...and cottage. Good job!

• tini58de's Profile Photo
    Sep 13, 2005 at 2:50 AM

Interesting page of an area that I want to visit one of these years! Great information and wonderful pictures!

• Gerrem's Profile Photo
    Apr 5, 2005 at 11:20 PM

Hi Chet, great pictures and informations !!! Regards from Lower Saxony

• may1273's Profile Photo
    Mar 10, 2005 at 4:00 AM

Wow... Your pictures are so lovely :-)))

• CALSF's Profile Photo
    Nov 28, 2004 at 9:35 AM

Hi Chet, nice scenic place that's well-represented on your page. Not so crazy about all that cod especially cod liver oil samples! :))

yooperprof

“from da u.p. to da world”

Badges & Stats in Lofoten

Have you been to Lofoten?

Latest Activity in Lofoten