"I Dream of Lofoten" Top 5 Page for this destination Lofoten by yooperprof
Lofoten Travel Guide: 123 reviews and 294 photos
Sometimes my travel instinct - my travel "gut" - gives me odd instructions to visit a certain place. Before summer of 2002, I had never heard of Lofoten, but it suddenly became clearly pressing to me that I make a visit to these offshore Norwegian islands. Why? I couldn't really tell you. I don't have any Norwegian ancestry, I don't have any real interest in fish or fisheries, I certainly didn't know anyone in Lofoten. But I heard stories of the place from Norwegian friends, I saw photos of Lofoten in books and on VT, and I even started to have dreams of this place. It became a very important locus in my inner mindscape. Has that ever happened to you?
I think everyone has their own private "mythological geography": places where we act and re-enact our own psycho-traumatic dramas. (Maybe I'm a little more psycho-traumatic than most. . . .) Islands have always had a special place in my own "mythos" - places of simultaneous yearning and contentment. Ironic perhaps, in light of the fact that I grew up "in the heart of the heart of the country". Like Dorothy Gale, I'm a black-and-white Kansan in search of a technicolor paradise. No doubt about it: my "Oz" would certainly be on an island. Perhaps that's part of the attraction of Lofoten for me.
The rocky coast of Moskenesøya - the southernmost island of Lofoten - reminds me of some of the shoreline of Lake Superior close to where I live. In both places, the underlying rock strata is very very old - billions and billions of years. It's interesting how other minerals are embedded in the fundamental granite - here is a prominent streak of white rock that stretches visably a long distance. (My guidebook to Moskenesøya says that this is "white pegmatite" and was created during cataclysmic geologic events "about 500 billion years ago.")
- Pros:Still unspoiled, quiet
The interior is dark and rather Bergman-esqe (originally constructed in the 16th century), but the exterior is bright,... more travel advice
I picked up an excellent and informative guide to Flakstad and Moskenes, the southernmost islands of Lofoten, It was... more travel advice
Written Aug 20, 2003
Arrival by Ferry in Moskenes
Written Aug 22, 2003
A Lofoten Hike
yooperprof's Related Pages
Lofoten Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "I Dream of Lofoten"
- "under construction"
- "Wonderful Lofoten"
- "Welcome to Lofoten Islands!"
- "Lofoten - Storybook Scenery"
- "The Lofoten Islands"
- "The Shark Teeth Rock Wall in Northern Norway"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lofoten
- Hotels in Lofoten
- Transportation in Lofoten
- Nightlife in Lofoten
- Restaurants in Lofoten
- Shopping in Lofoten
- Warnings and Dangers in Lofoten
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lofoten
- 24 Reviews
- 39 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 34 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (60)
Have you been to Lofoten?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lofoten
Photos in LofotenSee All Photos (39)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 206 reviews, 394 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 82 reviews, 229 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 126 reviews, 161 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 112 reviews, 173 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milwaukee Intro, 102 reviews, 168 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 86 reviews, 176 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marquette Intro, 80 reviews, 151 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ottawa Intro, 67 reviews, 144 photos, 1 travelogue
- Montreal Intro, 70 reviews, 137 photos
- Kansas City Intro, 72 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues