"French River - Voyageurs Historic Center" Grundy Lake Provincial Park by yooperprof
Grundy Lake Provincial Park Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 8 photos
The Ontario Provincial Government has created a stunning historical center/museum on the roadside access to the historically significant French River. It's alongside Highway 400, the route linking Sudbury to Toronto.
The French River played a vital role in the fur trade from the early 18th to the mid 19th century, providing an important link between Lake Huron and Georgian Bay and the Ottawa River region to the east. With their sleek efficient canoes, it was possible for the voyageurs (and their First Nation guides) to paddle almost all the way - there was only a relatively short "portage" between the different watersheds.
I was very impressed how the design of the new heritage center so nicely blends into the landscape of the river valley.
Walking outside the History Center, you enter a small "gorge" which has been spanned both by a modern highway bridge -... more travel advice
yooperprof's Related Pages
Grundy Lake Provincial Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "French River - Voyageurs Historic Center"
- Create a Grundy Lake Provincial Park Travel Page
Badges & Stats in Grundy Lake Provincial Park
- 2 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (114)
Have you been to Grundy Lake Provincial Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Grundy Lake Provincial Park
- updated a Grundy Lake Provincial Park Travel Page "French River - Voyageurs Historic Center"
- Posted in Travel Chicago Forum "Re: Where to stay?"
- Wrote a Review French River History Center - Outside in Grundy Lake Provincial Park Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "French River History Center - Outside"
Photos in Grundy Lake Provincial ParkSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 205 reviews, 391 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 82 reviews, 229 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 126 reviews, 161 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 112 reviews, 173 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milwaukee Intro, 102 reviews, 168 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 86 reviews, 176 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marquette Intro, 80 reviews, 151 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ottawa Intro, 67 reviews, 144 photos, 1 travelogue
- Montreal Intro, 70 reviews, 137 photos
- Kansas City Intro, 72 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues