"Small Town, Grand Cathedral" Top 5 Page for this destination Bourges by yooperprof
Bourges Travel Guide: 50 reviews and 136 photos
Always, Architecture is intertwined with politics. This great Cathedral is no exception. It was the first Cathedral in the French Royal Style (a.k.a. Gothic) to be constructed south of the Loire. Building was started in 1195, just as the powerful King Philip Augustus was beginning his series of wars against the English monarchs (first Richard the Lion-Hearted and later King John) which would eventually result in ending the Plantagenets' dominion over most of northwestern France. Doubtlessly, royal and monastic support for the building of this enormous pile was a sign of their intention to make their presence known in a region previously "up for grabs".
It's possible that the master builder for Bourges Cathedral came here directly from Paris, where he would have been employed at Notre Dame. There are numerous parallels between the Bourges structure and the better known "cousin" in the royal capital.
Saved to the Right, Sinners to the Left.
- In a nutshell:A place where it is possible to perceive the faith of the Middle Ages
It always is worth keeping in mind that the builders of medieval cathedrals worked with nothing more than the simplest... more travel advice
yooperprof's Related Pages
Bourges Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bourges, Cathedral..."
- "A Class Cathedral and A Rich Man's Palace"
- "Small Town, Grand Cathedral"
- "Bourges, Cathedral and Town"
- "A city rich in history........"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bourges
- Hotels in Bourges
- Transportation in Bourges
- Nightlife in Bourges
- Restaurants in Bourges
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Bourges
- 8 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (58)
Have you been to Bourges?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bourges
Photos in BourgesSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 206 reviews, 394 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 82 reviews, 229 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 126 reviews, 161 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 112 reviews, 173 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milwaukee Intro, 102 reviews, 168 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 86 reviews, 176 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marquette Intro, 80 reviews, 151 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ottawa Intro, 67 reviews, 144 photos, 1 travelogue
- Montreal Intro, 70 reviews, 137 photos
- Kansas City Intro, 72 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues