"Brideshead Visited for the First Time" North Yorkshire by yooperprof
North Yorkshire Travel Guide: 3,308 reviews and 8,379 photos
One of England's grandest homes, Castle Howard has been inspiring awe and envy for 250 years.
It also helps a person realize how much power and wealth (which goes hand in hand with power) was possessed by the English aristocracy in the 18th century.
"I have been here before," I said; I had been there before; first with Sebastian more than twenty years ago on a cloudless day in June, when the ditches were white with fool's parsley and meadowsweet and the air heavy with all the scents of summer; it was a day of peculiar splendour, such as our climate affords once or twice a year, when leaf and flower and bird and sun-lit stone and shadow all seem to proclaim the glory of God; and though I had been there so often, in so many moods, it was to that first visit that my heart returned on this, my latest."
Evelyn Waugh, "Brideshead Revisted"
Evelyn Waugh almost certainly had Castle Howard in mind as one of the models for the idlyllic country house he depicted in his novel "Brideshead Revisited." And it was fortunate that the makers of the TV series based on the book were able to gain permission to film here. The on-location filming of scenes on the grounds and in the house itself add immeasurably to the fascination of the multi-part mini-series. I recently watched it all again, enjoying once more Charles Ryder (Jeremy Irons) and Sebastian Flyte (the incomparable Anthony andrews) as they played around the gardens. And who can forget Lord Marchmain's (Laurence Olivier) dying scenes?
Well, okay, I wasn't actually doing the driving - the bus driver was driving. But that's better, because I was fully... more travel advice
The Temple of the Four Winds was one of my favorite attractions on the grounds of Castle Howard. It's a kind of "folly"... more travel advice
yooperprof's Related Pages
North Yorkshire Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "God's own country!"
- "North Yorkshire - So Much To See"
- "North Yorkshire"
- "Yorkshire - typically English"
- "North Yorkshire"
- "Yorkshire Delights"
- "Touring North Yorkshire"
- See All...
- Things to Do in North Yorkshire
- Hotels in North Yorkshire
- Transportation in North Yorkshire
- Nightlife in North Yorkshire
- Restaurants in North Yorkshire
- Shopping in North Yorkshire
- Warnings and Dangers in North Yorkshire
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in North Yorkshire
- 58 Reviews
- 126 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (58)
Have you been to North Yorkshire?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in North Yorkshire
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 206 reviews, 394 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 82 reviews, 229 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 126 reviews, 161 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 112 reviews, 173 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milwaukee Intro, 102 reviews, 168 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 86 reviews, 176 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marquette Intro, 80 reviews, 151 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ottawa Intro, 67 reviews, 144 photos, 1 travelogue
- Montreal Intro, 70 reviews, 137 photos
- Kansas City Intro, 72 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (37)
Top North Yorkshire hotels
- York Hotels
- 1631 Reviews - 3976 Photos
- Scarborough Hotels
- 276 Reviews - 409 Photos
- Whitby Hotels
- 355 Reviews - 743 Photos
- Harrogate Hotels
- 36 Reviews - 102 Photos
- Skipton Hotels
- 126 Reviews - 454 Photos
- Stamford Bridge Hotels
- See nearby hotels
- Knaresborough Hotels
- 49 Reviews - 118 Photos
- Ripon Hotels
- 36 Reviews - 202 Photos
- Robin Hood's Bay Hotels
- 51 Reviews - 102 Photos
- Richmond Hotels
- 32 Reviews - 108 Photos
- Northallerton Hotels
- 38 Reviews - 73 Photos
- Malton Hotels
- 7 Reviews - 12 Photos
- Yorkshire Dales National Park Hotels
- 133 Reviews - 473 Photos
- Thirsk Hotels
- 20 Reviews - 60 Photos
- Settle Hotels
- 3 Reviews - 15 Photos