McKinney Off The Beaten Path Tips by btex Top 5 Page for this destination
McKinney Off The Beaten Path: 6 reviews and 6 photos
Here you'll find a small plot of land that was the original county seat for Collin County. One of the original settlers of the area, McGarrah, started a trading post here which later became a fort and then a townsite. In 1848, it was noticed that Buckner wasn't within the legal boundaries to be considered the county seat...and everyone picked up and moved a few miles to McKinney which then became the county seat for Collin. Buckner was no more. What remains at the site is the Buckner Cemetery - oldest grave is from 1870. Two historical markers tell the story of both Buckner the town and the cemetery. It's a small area that can be found right next to the Third Monday Trade Days field - on U.S. 380 about 3 miles west of McKinney.
Lake Lavon isn't the greatest lake in the world. But, it's only a 20-30 minute drive from McKinney (to the southeast,) so that's a good thing. It's another Texas lake made by the army corps of engineers (I think that the only naturally formed lake in Texas is Caddo Lake.) The water isn't very clear - there are old, dead trees sticking up out of the water...and I wouldn't eat any fish from that lake...even though the fishing is supposed to be pretty good: catfish, crappie - I knew someone who caught an alligator gar in Lavon - those things have sharp teeth! There is a hiking/horse riding trail, and a few parks that can be used for picnics or whatever.
trail at the heard
Heard Museum - it's just south of McKinney. It's a nature reserve and natural history museum about. They keep birds that have been injured and that can't return to the wild. There's also a nature trail where you'll see native trees and plants and animals...it's what the area would still look like if the farmers hadn't cut all the trees down all those years ago. They also have exhibits at the Heard - the latest one is about bats - I looked it up on their web site and discovered that there were no live bats in their bat exhibit...what's up with that?
More Reviews (14)
btex's Related Pages
McKinney Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "SMALL TOWN LIFE AT ITS MAX--McKinney,Texas!"
- "McKinney - North Texas"
- "Keeweechic's McKinney"
- "Amy's Mckinney Page"
- "Growing Suburb North of Dallas"
- "shiran_d's new Mckinney Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in McKinney
- Hotels in McKinney
- Transportation in McKinney
- Nightlife in McKinney
- Restaurants in McKinney
- Shopping in McKinney
- Warnings and Dangers in McKinney
- See All...
Explore the World
- Karungulam Hotels
- Bijanbari Bazar Hotels
- Bourton on the Water
- New Buffalo
- Hardeeville Hotels
- Wool Hotels
- Churches / Schools
- Saint Michaels Off The Beaten Path
- Srinagar Off The Beaten Path
- Bora-Bora Off The Beaten Path
- Albi Off The Beaten Path
- Kosice Off The Beaten Path
- Cheung Chau Island
- Big Bear City Off The Beaten Path
- Old-Town Hall & Astronomical Clock
- Sequoia National Park Off The Beaten Path
- Monument Valley State Park Off The Beaten Path
Badges & Stats in McKinney
- 17 Reviews
- 37 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to McKinney?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in McKinney
Top 10 Pages
- Dallas Intro, 44 reviews, 46 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination McKinney Intro, 17 reviews, 38 photos, 3 travelogues
- Fort Worth Intro, 24 reviews, 17 photos
- Paris Intro, 21 reviews, 19 photos
- Interlaken Intro, 16 reviews, 23 photos, 1 travelogue
- Vancouver Intro, 17 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arkansas Intro, 10 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Daingerfield State Park Intro, 7 reviews, 19 photos, 2 travelogues
- Brugge Intro, 12 reviews, 11 photos
- Quebec Intro, 12 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
Latest McKinney hotel reviews
- Old Collin County Courthouse- 2 Reviews, 2 Photos
- Historic District- 1 Reviews, 5 Photos
- Heard-Craig House- 2 Reviews, 2 Photos
- Cadillac Pizza Pub- 1 Reviews, 5 Photos
- Pecan Grove Cemetery- 1 Reviews, 3 Photos
- Lone Star Wine Cellars- 1 Reviews, 2 Photos
- Chestnut Square- 1 Reviews, 1 Photos
- Garret Art Gallery- 1 Reviews, 1 Photos
- Old Post Office Museum- 1 Reviews, 1 Photos
- Dulaney House Museum- 1 Reviews, 1 Photos
See All McKinney Things to Do