Dallas Off The Beaten Path Tips by btex
Dallas Off The Beaten Path: 93 reviews and 132 photos
First Monday Trade Days is in Canton, Texas - about 50-60 miles east of Dallas. It's the oldest (since 1850) and biggest flea market in the world. At the market, you'll find antiques, collectibles, crafts, junk, art, greasy food, lots of shoppers and vendors. It happens on the weekend before the first Monday of every month...hence the name. The place is huge though, and it's almost impossible to see it all in one day. The town of Canton has several hotels for anybody looking to stay for more than one day. Most of the vendors seem to stay in campers and RVs on the grounds...I guess that alot of them drive from flea market to flea market...kinda like nomads. They seem to like it...many of the vendors are friendly, colorful characters who probably enjoy the community aspect of the market as much as anything. Shoppers seem to like it too...cuz there are lots of 'em.
Phone: (903) 567-6556
To tell the truth..Lake Lavon isn't that great. It's another Texas man-made lake that isn't very inspirational. The water isn't very clear - there are old, dead trees sticking up out of the water...and I wouldn't eat any fish from that lake...even though the fishing is supposed to be pretty good. But, it is close to Dallas...there is a hiking/horse riding trail...boats will float on the water...there are a few parks that can be used for picnics or whatever. Basically, if you want to get away from Dallas urban-life, Lake Lavon is one of the few really close locations to do that. It's north east of Dallas - near the town of Wylie - about a 30-40 minute drive.
trail in Heard
Heard Museum - it's just outside the town of McKinney (about a 30-40 minute drive from D.) It's a nature reserve and museum about natural history of the area. They keep birds that have been injured and that can't return to the wild. There are also nature trails where you'll see native trees and plants and animals...it's what the area would still look like if the farmers hadn't cut all the trees down all those years ago.
inside Texas Stadium in Irving
Irving is a city right next to Dallas. Actually, I lived in Irving for a bit. There you will find Texas Stadium (where the Cowboys play,) Las Colinas, Mandalay Canal with Venetian-style water taxis and waterfront, Movie Studios at Las Colinas, the Mustangs of Las Colinas (statues at Williams Square,) and more. My favorite hang-out in Irving was Judge Roy Bean's restaurant...I never ate there, but whenever you bought a beer during happy hour you would get a spin on a wheel to win prizes...such as another beer, a shot, food, or nothing.
old collin county courthouse in McKinney
Downtown Mckinney - it's a historic district with an old court house, many antique malls, cafes, and even a British Baker(107 South Chestnut)...in case you want really good food and need a scones fix. The neighborhood around downtown is very nice too. Many old houses/mansions with spires and other fancy architecture.
Lone Star Park - it's a horse racing facility in the town of Grand Prairie (again between Dallas and Ft. Worth.) The first time I went I had beginner's luck and came out on top. But, my luck ran out on the several times that I returned - which made me not think too highly of betting anymore. Yet, it's a nice track and a good time.
More Reviews (38)
- See All White Rock Lake
- See All corny dawgs!
- See All The Gingerman
- Dallas Facts & Legends
- See All traffic
btex's Related Pages
Dallas Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Keeweechic's Dallas"
- "Dallas,Texas--Big, Bold and Friendly!!"
- "1997 Convention to 2006 Frisco grandchildren visit"
- "Goin' through the Big D and I mean Dallas!"
- "Dallas Texas"
- "Sweetberry's Dallas Page"
- "btex's Dallas Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dallas
- Hotels in Dallas
- Transportation in Dallas
- Nightlife in Dallas
- Restaurants in Dallas
- Shopping in Dallas
- Warnings and Dangers in Dallas
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Dallas
- 44 Reviews
- 46 Photos
- 20 Forum posts
- 59 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Dallas?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dallas
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Favorite TV Themes"
- Commented on one of lonestar_philomath's Dallas travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "that's a spicy meatball!!"
- updated a Dallas Travelogue "Mavs game and other stuff"
- Wrote a Review First Monday Trade Days in Canton about Other CITIES in Dallas Off The Beaten Path
Photos in DallasSee All Photos (46)
Top 10 Pages
- Dallas Intro, 44 reviews, 46 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination McKinney Intro, 17 reviews, 38 photos, 3 travelogues
- Fort Worth Intro, 24 reviews, 17 photos
- Paris Intro, 21 reviews, 19 photos
- Interlaken Intro, 16 reviews, 23 photos, 1 travelogue
- Vancouver Intro, 17 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arkansas Intro, 10 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Daingerfield State Park Intro, 7 reviews, 19 photos, 2 travelogues
- Brugge Intro, 12 reviews, 11 photos
- Quebec Intro, 12 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- Dealey Plaza Dedication- 60 Reviews, 64 Photos
- Fair Park- 41 Reviews, 78 Photos
- Downtown- 27 Reviews, 47 Photos
- Botanical Garden- 14 Reviews, 43 Photos
- Pioneer Plaza- 17 Reviews, 28 Photos
- Reunion Tower- 18 Reviews, 26 Photos
- Nasher Sculpture Center- 16 Reviews, 21 Photos
- Southfork Ranch- 12 Reviews, 25 Photos
- Trammell Crow Center- 11 Reviews, 27 Photos
- World Aquarium- 12 Reviews, 25 Photos
See All Dallas Things to Do