"Avebury" Avebury by btex
Avebury Travel Guide: 100 reviews and 238 photos
Stonehenge gets all the attention, but in nearby Avebury, the stone circles are superior. They're more complete, and you can walk amongst them.
It isn't known for sure why these stone circles were built. Although, it seems kind of obvious to me that the circles were used for religious purposes, as calendars, as star and seasonal charts...and maybe as meeting places for the people in these ancient cultures. At the hostel, I remember one guy explaining how the stone circles were made by and for aliens as landing strips and so on...he's probably seen one too many Steven Speilberg movies.
On the bus trip back to Salisbury, I stopped off at the site of Old Sarum. Actually, it was closed by the time I got... more travel advice
The stone circle at Stonehenge only shows the inner circle of the complex. In Avebury, much of the monument remains: the... more travel advice
btex's Related Pages
Avebury Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Neverending Sto...nes"
- "Standing Stones of Avebury"
- "Avebury and surrounding area"
- "AVEBURY - THE MAJOR GOES MYSTICAL!"
- "Low Key Pre-History"
- "Avebury - A landscape of ancient magic"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Avebury
- Hotels in Avebury
- Transportation in Avebury
- Restaurants in Avebury
- Shopping in Avebury
- Warnings and Dangers in Avebury
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Avebury
- 9 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Avebury?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Avebury
Top 10 Pages
- Dallas Intro, 44 reviews, 46 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination McKinney Intro, 17 reviews, 38 photos, 3 travelogues
- Fort Worth Intro, 24 reviews, 17 photos
- Paris Intro, 21 reviews, 19 photos
- Interlaken Intro, 16 reviews, 23 photos, 1 travelogue
- Vancouver Intro, 17 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arkansas Intro, 10 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Daingerfield State Park Intro, 7 reviews, 19 photos, 2 travelogues
- Brugge Intro, 12 reviews, 11 photos
- Quebec Intro, 12 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue