"Bwana_Brown's United Kingdom Page" United Kingdom by Bwana_Brown

United Kingdom Travel Guide: 96,003 reviews and 232,709 photos

I have travelled to the UK a number of times for visits lasting between a couple of days to six weeks. Our earlier trips (1974, 1979 and 1981) were primarily in the London area, close to my wife's parents home in Horley - next door to Gatwick Airport. We really had a great time touring London and seeing the sights in that area - London is one of my favourite cities to visit and experience! Subsequently, when they moved to Cornwall, our latter trips (1990, 1995, 2000 and 2004) have given us a chance to see that part of this beautiful country (with a trip to Wales in a Mini 1275 GT thrown into the mix as well)! My wife still has a brother living near London, in Farnham, so we still get to see some of our old "stomping grounds" as well. This page primarily deals with our last few trips and focuses on Cornwall. Photo taken of a walk in Cornwall along Falmouth Bay near Mylor - I do not know what the plant is but it reminded me of a giant "rhubarb"! (Update - "Sir" Geoff Wright has informed me that I was almost correct - it is a Gunnera or a "Prickly Rhubarb"). Thanks, Geoff!

• Pros:Beautiful countryside, pubs and lots of history!
  • Cons:Can be expensive!
  • In a nutshell:Always a pleasure to be there!
  • Last visit to United Kingdom: Jun 2000
  • Intro Updated Feb 4, 2005

• vtveen's Profile Photo
    Nov 5, 2006 at 4:42 AM

Hi Glenn, nice tips and pics about the UK !! I see you missed (till yet) Scotland, a great country also. We are back from a short stay, very fascinating.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Jan 14, 2006 at 11:30 PM

Interesting tips. Thanks for Helford Cottages (I like the picture). I wonder wether your rental price incuded fully insurance covarage. I think over renting a car not to die on the first roundabout :-)

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Dec 11, 2005 at 9:10 PM

Your Gunnera looks even larger than those I saw in the wild in Ireland (invasive plant). It should be a different species, I know there are several of this archaic plant. The inflorescence is stunning too!

• easyoar's Profile Photo
    Jun 11, 2005 at 12:10 PM

Lands End tacky? Yep, that's just about right! 1 tip on almost everything, you just need to add a sports one and a shopping one to have a full set...

• ettenaj's Profile Photo
    Dec 13, 2003 at 6:50 AM

I also remember when Lands End was just that ......Lands End.

• Imbi's Profile Photo
    Nov 26, 2003 at 1:42 PM

Petrol prices not just high but they keep changing from one petrol station to other as well. Usually I drive around as well despite the fact that we have very good public transport system here

• craic's Profile Photo
    Aug 23, 2003 at 12:46 PM

Another great page. BTW birthday alert and a very early HB 2 U!

• gemjag's Profile Photo
    Jun 1, 2003 at 6:15 AM

interesting page, I remember when there was nothing but land at lands end. Cornwall is one of my favourite places in Britain, and Hampton Court is fab. Thanks

• whitecliff62's Profile Photo
    May 22, 2003 at 1:50 PM

Superb, well thought out pages.

• acemj's Profile Photo
    Feb 9, 2003 at 1:31 PM

Wow. I need to go buy some good walking shoes! Great page.

Bwana_Brown

“Don`t sweat the small stuff”

Badges & Stats in United Kingdom

Have you been to United Kingdom?

Latest Activity in United Kingdom