"The Cliffs of Moher" Top 5 Page for this destination County Clare by Bwana_Brown

County Clare Travel Guide: 708 reviews and 1,909 photos

There is no question that the Cliffs of Moher on the Atlantic coast mid-way between Galway and Limerick were the highlight of our week in Ireland! This 8-km (5-mile) stretch of cliffs towering up to 230 metres (700 feet) above the ocean is really something special to experience, especially if you get a super sunny day as we did! We loved the cliffs so much that we visited them twice in the same day - once in the morning and again in the late afternoon. Both experiences were amazing and different in their own ways. We had arrived in this part of Ireland from Limerick on Day 5 of our six days of touring the Republic in our rental car, and it was a fitting end to a great first experience of this wonderful land. This photo was taken near the southern tip of the cliffs, close to Hags Head, with a distant view of O'Brien's Tower on the far horizon. We actually ended up here on our afternoon walk, spending from 5 - 7 PM laying here on the grass as we had our picnic and enjoyed both the view and a bottle of wine! We were so fortunate with the weather in Ireland that I was able to strip down to only shorts here on the Atlantic coast! This was a great way to begin the wind-down our fantastic visit to Ireland.

Our First Moher Experience

On our arrival at the Cliffs in the morning, we headed north from the O'Brien's Tower visitor area and this was the view that greeted us. The cliffs are made up of layers of sandstone, siltstone and shale deposited over millions of years. The layers are actually slightly tilted to the extent that the layer that is in the ocean at this location has actually risen to the top of the cliffs by the time you walk 2 miles northward.

On the Cliff's Edge

As our walk progressed, we got a little more used to walking along a 700 foot drop into the ocean without any safety barriers! Here we pause for bit before we finally reach that dark headland in the distance where we do some serious cliff-hanging!

• Pros:Cliffs of Moher
  • Cons:None
  • In a nutshell:One of the World's Wonders!
  • Last visit to County Clare: Jun 2000
  • Intro Updated Jan 11, 2004

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Apr 22, 2010 at 5:33 AM

You were much braver than I would be, I can feel the 'blood curdling' just looking at that photo!

• BillNJ's Profile Photo
    Dec 15, 2009 at 7:12 PM

Glenn -- you and your wife were certainly more brave near the Cliffs of Moher than me! There are now barrier walls in the main tourist areas -- and I didn't risk going outside them. It's a long way down! Cheers, Bill

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo
    Jun 24, 2009 at 2:37 AM

Glenn-those cliffs (Hanging Overtip) look VERY similar to South Head cliffs in Sydney. Also sandstone. Good photos- although I would NOT go near the edge of these cliffs!

• Mikebb's Profile Photo
    May 4, 2009 at 8:15 PM

Now I have seen the Cliffs Of Mohar.Not as lucky as your visit, when we visited late August'08 it was raining and covered in fog, could only see 20 metres, a disappointing journey.

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    Jul 15, 2007 at 5:56 AM

I'll have to come to Ireland again to see the famous Cliffs of Moher, not that I am dreaming of creeping to the very edge of them. Beautiful pictures and excellent tips, which I hope to use someday.

• 1courage's Profile Photo
    Jun 6, 2007 at 1:28 PM

Never heard about this place, but it seems quite interesting. Thank for the infos. 1courage

• Luchonda's Profile Photo
    May 27, 2007 at 12:25 PM

An excellent page on a marvelous country - you have a brave partner exploring the cliffs so close !

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Jan 19, 2007 at 4:43 PM

Excellent page. Amazing photos of the cliffs. Glad they did not give way when you was observing.

• Sagespot's Profile Photo
    Jan 19, 2007 at 4:18 PM

You have some BEAUTIFUL shots of the cliffs on your pages! I wish it would have been a touch warmer when we visited - spending some time in the grass would have been great! Cheers - Sage

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Oct 23, 2006 at 8:05 AM

What a beautiful place to spend the day at! I will visit Irland for the first time next year, but only for a few days and will probably not have time to go futher then Dublin.

Bwana_Brown

“Don`t sweat the small stuff”

Badges & Stats in County Clare

Have you been to County Clare?

Latest Activity in County Clare