"The Cliffs of Moher" Top 5 Page for this destination County Clare by Bwana_Brown
County Clare Travel Guide: 713 reviews and 1,869 photos
There is no question that the Cliffs of Moher on the Atlantic coast mid-way between Galway and Limerick were the highlight of our week in Ireland! This 8-km (5-mile) stretch of cliffs towering up to 230 metres (700 feet) above the ocean is really something special to experience, especially if you get a super sunny day as we did! We loved the cliffs so much that we visited them twice in the same day - once in the morning and again in the late afternoon. Both experiences were amazing and different in their own ways. We had arrived in this part of Ireland from Limerick on Day 5 of our six days of touring the Republic in our rental car, and it was a fitting end to a great first experience of this wonderful land. This photo was taken near the southern tip of the cliffs, close to Hags Head, with a distant view of O'Brien's Tower on the far horizon. We actually ended up here on our afternoon walk, spending from 5 - 7 PM laying here on the grass as we had our picnic and enjoyed both the view and a bottle of wine! We were so fortunate with the weather in Ireland that I was able to strip down to only shorts here on the Atlantic coast! This was a great way to begin the wind-down our fantastic visit to Ireland.
On our arrival at the Cliffs in the morning, we headed north from the O'Brien's Tower visitor area and this was the view that greeted us. The cliffs are made up of layers of sandstone, siltstone and shale deposited over millions of years. The layers are actually slightly tilted to the extent that the layer that is in the ocean at this location has actually risen to the top of the cliffs by the time you walk 2 miles northward.
As our walk progressed, we got a little more used to walking along a 700 foot drop into the ocean without any safety barriers! Here we pause for bit before we finally reach that dark headland in the distance where we do some serious cliff-hanging!
- Pros:Cliffs of Moher
- In a nutshell:One of the World's Wonders!
Before my wife would venture out to the very edge of the cliffs, I had to go on a little scouting expedition! Here, she... more travel advice
As we were leaving County Clare to head back to Dublin at the end of our trip, we came upon these amazing ruins near the... more travel advice
Bwana_Brown's Related Pages
County Clare Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Sweet County Clare"
- "The Cliffs of Moher, the Burren & a lot more !"
- "Cliffs of Moher and Burren"
- "Cliffs of Moher, Bunratty Castle and the Burren"
- "The Cliffs of Moher"
- "Co. Clare..The Burren and the Cliffs of Moher"
- "County Clare"
- See All...
- Things to Do in County Clare
- Hotels in County Clare
- Transportation in County Clare
- Nightlife in County Clare
- Restaurants in County Clare
- Shopping in County Clare
- Warnings and Dangers in County Clare
- See All...
Badges & Stats in County Clare
- 8 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (156)
Have you been to County Clare?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in County Clare
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: New Member Map, Travel Pages..."
- Commented on one of Dabs's County Clare travel pages
- Wrote a Review I Guess I'm Expendible! about Cliffs of Moher in County Clare Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "I Guess I'm Expendible!"
- updated a County Clare Travel Page "The Cliffs of Moher"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Andalucía Intro, 60 reviews, 186 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of New Brunswick Intro, 70 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaspé Intro, 51 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belize Intro, 66 reviews, 140 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Ontario Intro, 46 reviews, 144 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yellowstone National Park Intro, 42 reviews, 120 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portugal Intro, 80 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier National Park Intro, 43 reviews, 115 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canada Intro, 45 reviews, 100 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 68 reviews, 71 photos