"Wicklow Mountains & 'Ballykissangel'" Top 5 Page for this destination County Wicklow by Bwana_Brown

County Wicklow Travel Guide: 230 reviews and 733 photos

Following a week-long vacation in England, my wife and I arrived in Dublin from Heathrow at about 3 in the afternoon. As is our custom, we quickly picked up our rental car and headed out of the city as fast as we could. Even though we had picked up a decent road map, an hour and a half later, as we drove through the Wicklow Mountains, south of the city, we were not quite sure where we were at times! However, we soon deduced that we were near the small hamlet of Roundwood and were on course for our destination of Avoca! We had decided to go there on our first day because it would be a short drive and we had been following the BBC TV series 'Ballykissangel' filmed there. Our plan was to spend about a day there and then head west across country to take in the Atlantic Ocean sights of Slea Head (Kerry) and the Cliffs of Moher (Clare) before returning to Dublin. The drive through the Wicklow Mountains was a great way to start off our trip - hardly any traffic and amazing views of mountains, river valleys and lakes as the road seemed to wind along high above the surrounding terrain.

• Pros:An interesting wild area close to Dublin
  • Last visit to County Wicklow: Jun 2000
  • Intro Updated May 2, 2008

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Jun 15, 2014 at 3:29 AM

Another excellent little page about your adventures in Ireland.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
      Jun 15, 2014 at 6:25 AM

It was my first time in Ireland and I was very happy to find out that my wife and I quite enjoyed our time in the country, including County Wiclow. I am glad you found this page interesting. Regards, Glenn

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Jan 24, 2013 at 5:39 PM

Avoca looks a pretty little village.

• Jan 6, 2009 at 7:02 PM

I've been looking for Castlemcdadam for a long time!! My great-great grandma was born there in 1830. I'm so excited to acutally find some info

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    May 30, 2008 at 5:06 AM

Beautiful scenery, some ancient stone buildings and a lively pub where they serve Guinness which is the only beer I like - what else can you want from a holiday?

• robertgaz's Profile Photo
    May 5, 2008 at 4:06 PM

Is there any place on the planet that hasn't a Fitzgerald's Pub?

• tiabunna's Profile Photo
    May 3, 2008 at 5:17 AM

It's tempting to say "what a great slice of undiscovered Ireland" - but with a TV show made there it's hardly undiscovered! Shows your good judgement in visiting before the tourist season.

• craic's Profile Photo
    May 2, 2008 at 6:20 PM

ireland seems impossibly beautiful

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Mar 9, 2007 at 9:45 AM

Driving through Wicklow Mountains looks very beautiful! Nice that you went to see a place were a TV series you have followed were filmed.

• themajor's Profile Photo
    Feb 15, 2007 at 2:39 AM

Fish and chips! Excellent choice Bwana!! Were you given the option of ordering mushy peas or perhaps the additional treat of a gherkin? Always a weakness of mine. Good to see accommodation getting due criticism too! Keep it up!!

• Jun 29, 2006 at 4:17 AM

This church is known as Old Castlemacadam, but in fact it was originally an old castle and part of it was incorporated into the walls that surround the old church, the new church is called Holy Trinity.

Bwana_Brown

“Don`t sweat the small stuff”

Badges & Stats in County Wicklow

Have you been to County Wicklow?