"Big Valley - well worth the detour!" Big Valley by Bwana_Brown

Big Valley Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 34 photos

In February, 2008 I was making my third return trip in three months to Regina, Saskatchewan from the Sylvan Lake area of Alberta after helping my youngest daughter and her husband with construction chores in their new house. This time I decided I needed a change of scenery, so I veered off main North-South Highway 21 onto the almost deserted secondary Highway 590 heading directly east through the small community of Big Valley. It really amazed me how much difference it made to simply get off onto a 'back-road' where you could slow down a bit and take the time to enjoy some new vistas! Well worth the change of course if you ever get the chance! About half way along this stretch of road between provincial Highways 21 and 56, I came across this great view of the Red Deer River valley as I made the abrupt descent into it. It was the start of a very enjoyable drive!

• Pros:A nice change to take in 'off-the-beaten-path' Alberta!
  • Cons:Sorry, I just enjoyed it
  • In a nutshell:There are lots of roads like this in Alberta, simply take a detour whenever the mood hits you!
  • Last visit to Big Valley: Feb 2008
  • Intro Updated Feb 22, 2008

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Mar 12, 2014 at 5:49 AM

I like the Hoodoos!

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
      Mar 13, 2014 at 6:04 AM

Yes, those Hoodoos really are quite something. I made quite a few drives through the area as I made a few weekend drives from Regina, Saskatchewan to Drayton Valley, Alberta where our youngest daughter lived.

• Mar 17, 2008 at 9:57 PM

After seeing this page I have come to the following conclusion: I need to take a detour every now & then. As always you provide VT with exquisite Canadian scenery.

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Mar 16, 2008 at 1:01 PM

Big Valley seems to be interesting from geologic point of view and very picturesque. Thanks colleague Glenn for sharing with your thinking about it.

• mircaskirca's Profile Photo
    Mar 8, 2008 at 10:44 AM

Well, changes are in most cases good. It was definitely worth taking an alternative road for such amazing scenery! I liked the idea of steam-train.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Mar 3, 2008 at 5:31 PM

Pretty spectacular country from my perspective! The "one lane bridge" story was great. The ice age information and the Baby Hoodoos were most interesting.

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Feb 28, 2008 at 8:06 AM

Those baby hoodoos look like something you'd see in the interior of Turkey not in Canada! Interesting page Glenn :-)

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Feb 28, 2008 at 2:47 AM

Beautiful country.

• robertgaz's Profile Photo
    Feb 28, 2008 at 1:14 AM

It seems that the ice age hasn't quite departed from Big Valley ;~)

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Feb 27, 2008 at 2:02 PM

Great idea to take that detour !

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo
    Feb 24, 2008 at 7:10 PM

Well written :)

Bwana_Brown

“Don`t sweat the small stuff”

Badges & Stats in Big Valley

Have you been to Big Valley?