"My first real taste of Manitoba" Top 5 Page for this destination Brandon by Bwana_Brown

Brandon Travel Guide: 25 reviews and 38 photos

I had visited Manitoba only twice before, both times involving the capital city of Winnipeg. The first time was on a hitch-hiking trip from Canada's east coast in 1970 and the second was a 2-night dead-of-winter fly-in on a business trip in 1998. This time around was much better because, even though it was another working business trip, at least it was during beautiful summer weather and there was just enough free time to enable me to see a bit more of the province.

The company I work for in Regina, Saskatchewan had been awarded a major maintenance contract with a large industrial customer in Brandon, so about 35 of us converged on this sleepy little city for 7-8 days of solid work. We had quite good weather, sunny and warm with only a few rain showers, so on the one day when not all the crew was needed, I rented a car and did a little extra exploring outside the city. I was quite impressed by what I saw, including a Museum dedicated to training air force crews during World War II, beautiful countryside, Canada's longest swinging bridge over a pretty little river and a major 'castle' located in the middle of nowhere!

• Pros:Small, pretty and nice countryside
  • Cons:Nothing major
  • In a nutshell:Looks like lots of interesting things to do in the city and surrounding area
  • Last visit to Brandon: Jul 2008
  • Intro Updated Jul 25, 2008

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Mar 12, 2014 at 5:56 AM

The old airplanes look interesting as does the swinging bridge! I like the tree lined streets of this town. Nice page!

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
      Mar 13, 2014 at 6:01 AM

I'm glad that you enjoyed my Brandon page. I too was amazed by some of the tourist attractions in the area.

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Jan 20, 2010 at 4:04 PM

It's not Winnipeg but still a glimpse of Manitoba. "Mouse" River, castle and all.

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Aug 1, 2009 at 10:05 PM

Manitoba is really scarcely populated! Amazing swinging bridge and castle! Life must be difficult for a wild three legged deer if there is any predator. I wonder what the origin of the name "Souris" (mouse in French)

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo
    Jul 21, 2009 at 2:39 AM

Swinging bridge, castle, elm trees & river- Brandon sounds lovely.Love the Deer picture.

• Redlats's Profile Photo
    Aug 26, 2008 at 9:56 AM

This is disgusting. You live 1/2 way across the country & have seen more stuff in Brandon than I have. I've been to the Swinging bridge a few times but I don't remember even noticing Squire Hall. By the way deer aren't wildlife here, they are local pests.

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Aug 17, 2008 at 12:24 PM

an interesting page, Glenn, thanks for sharing ! my favorite sight here is the museum in the old aircraft hanger, it must be a lot of fun to fly such an old airplane !

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Aug 16, 2008 at 12:19 AM

Great to get the opportunity to see new places travelling with work. The trip to Souris sounds nice!

• Aug 10, 2008 at 12:35 AM

Another fascinating page, Glenn. I specifically enjoyed reading about your tip on the bridge. I'm glad to see you're still getting out & about.

• tiabunna's Profile Photo
    Aug 1, 2008 at 9:08 PM

An interesting place, with the swinging bridge and the castle, Glenn. I can't imagine working in a 21% ammonia atmosphere, let alone around all those high voltages!

• magor65's Profile Photo
    Jul 31, 2008 at 11:53 AM

Your job sounds a bit scary to me but it's great when you can join business with pleasures of travelling. And in this case to such a nice destination.

Bwana_Brown

“Don`t sweat the small stuff”

Badges & Stats in Brandon

Have you been to Brandon?

Latest Activity in Brandon