"Calgary - A Friendly City" Top 5 Page for this destination Calgary by Bwana_Brown

Calgary Travel Guide: 1,063 reviews and 1,921 photos

In July, 2006 my wife and I returned to Alberta for another go-round of Calgary! This time we started our journey in the city, then drove north to Cold Lake for a week before returning for a few days while the Calgary Stampede was on. After enjoying some great adventures in the nearby countryside, we headed south for another week to take in Waterton Lakes National Park (Alberta) and Glacier National Park (Montana). Once again, Calgary totally impressed us, and the fantastic summer weather of 25-30 C was very agreeable!

On our previous trip, in September, 2004 we flew into Edmonton, Alberta as a central point for visits both north and south to Cold Lake and Calgary (since we had daughters living in both of these locations). On the second stage of that journey, we drove south from Cold Lake for almost an entire day before reaching this bustling 'oil capital' of Canada. Our main objectives were to visit our youngest daughter who had been living there for a year, as well as one of my younger sisters who was a long-time resident. This was our first proper visit to Calgary, other than a brief stop-overs in 1982 and 2001 when we merely passed through in the course of other major trips. The weather was great, in the low 20s C, but dipping down to freezing one night, allowing us to take in a tour of the city as well. On our previous visits to the city, we had not sampled any of its sights at all due to the short length of our stays. Not only did we get to see the city, but we also managed a day-trip to the fantastic 'Banff National Park' (see my separate page for the details of that trip!).

I was surprised at how user-friendly Calgary was. The traffic was not bad, the tree-lined streets were beautiful and the people seemed friendly. Altogether, I was greatly impressed with the city on both of these major visits!

• Pros:Clean, Inexpensive and Close to the Rockies
  • Cons:Like Most Places in Canada - Long, Cold Winters
  • In a nutshell:Well worth a visit!
  • Last visit to Calgary: Dec 2007
  • Intro Updated Jan 4, 2008

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Sep 29, 2010 at 7:25 AM

Hughes House B&B sounds fantastic. As does the Panorama Room, especially when the entire meal is on the house. I went through Calgary on the train once (years ago), but didn't get off -- on my way from Vancouver to Winnipeg.

• YolandaC's Profile Photo
    Oct 19, 2009 at 3:58 PM

Loved reading your tips on my home town, Calgary. Always interesting to see ones home through the eyes of another. Great tips!! Please come back soon!

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Aug 1, 2009 at 9:24 PM

This is indeed a very special visit to Calgary! You had a great time! If you say that the sight from Calgary must nor be missed, I believe you. Then, I should go and check by myself! + Aug 09: interesting updates!

• Karolina01's Profile Photo
    Mar 20, 2009 at 4:00 PM

Hi, good tips about Calgary. Greetings from Saskatoon.

• magor65's Profile Photo
    Jun 30, 2008 at 2:11 PM

There's so much to see in and around Calgary. I would love to go to the Rocky mountains if I ever visited C. It was fun to read about your little modelling adventure and what followed it. Bth, my computer is fixed at last.

• kokoryko's Profile Photo
    Jan 12, 2008 at 3:25 PM

Unfortunately I missed the stampede when I was in Calgary, I would have liked it a lot! Reading your pages I realise I missed a lot! If I come back I will have a look at the big rock, of course! Merci pour les souvenirs, Glenn.

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Jan 6, 2008 at 11:28 AM

Excellent page! For me - Calgary first of all means Calgary Flames and the match with the USSR hockey team 25 years ago in far January of 1983... Best wishes Glenn in our Orthodox Christmas Eve!

• Camping_Girl's Profile Photo
    Aug 7, 2007 at 1:25 PM

Hi Glenn - great Calgary page! I never knew there was an Outback Steakhouse in the city, so I learned something. Sounds like your rafting trip was a lot of fun too!

• Mikebb's Profile Photo
    Apr 30, 2007 at 2:31 AM

Hi Thank you for your tips they will help when we fly into Calgary for 7 days in Banff. Do you know of a good B&B in Calgary or just outside on the way to Banff?

• roamer61's Profile Photo
    Apr 24, 2007 at 4:36 AM

Nice page on Calgary. Good pics and tips. I might be there next year. Still far too early to say though.

Bwana_Brown

“Don`t sweat the small stuff”

Badges & Stats in Calgary

Have you been to Calgary?

Latest Activity in Calgary