"Campobello Island - 2006 Bicycle Trip (Part 2)" Campobello Island by Bwana_Brown
Campobello Island Travel Guide: 30 reviews and 79 photos
Campobello Island was the second leg of the Summer 2006 bicycle trip that my buddy Russell and I took, an exercise that we have been carrying on each of the last 5 summers. We struck it lucky with the weather, hitting the Bay of Fundy coast of New Brunswick with virutally perfect biking weather! After a day of island-hopping from the mainland (see my 'Deer Island' page for the details), we set foot on Campobello at 9 AM on our second day and were keen to do some exploring.
Although long inhabited by the Passamaquoddy native Americans of this area, Campobello Island first entered the knowledge of the European world in 1607 when French explorer Samuel de Champlain (founder of Quebec City in 1608) sailed past on his way into Passamaquoddy Bay. The map of the island he drew up called it Port aux Coquilles after the huge numbers of clams that were spotted. However, settlement in the New World was difficult work, and it was not until 1684 that a small group of settlers arrived on the island, scratching out a living with a few horses and cattle and whatever they could glean from the sea. Things remained quiet until the island was granted to Welsh Captain William Owen in 1767 by the British governor of Nova Scotia, Lord William Campbell. Deciding to pay homage to the man who deeded the land to him, Owen named his personal island Camp(o)bell(o) as a play on Campbell's name.
Although the principle livlihood of the island has always depended on the sea, the following centuries also brought changes to the island, as you will see in my 'To Do' tips! Our first task was to hit the road to examine one of these major changes that eventually changed life on the island forever.
The photo shows a couple of tourists ahead of us as they cross the seaweed covered rocks, exposed at low tide, on their way to Head Harbour Lighthouse on the northern tip of the island. Please see my 'General' tip for maps showing both Campobello's location and a close-up of the island.
- Pros:Beautiful coastal scenery and great Parks
- Cons:It all depends on the weather
- In a nutshell:A low key and inexpensive place to enjoy the Atlantic coast
Campobello Island is located in the southwest corner of Canada's Maritime Provinces, in New Brunswick and on the border... more travel advice
Not having to be at any particular place at any particular time makes a bicycle trip that much more pleasurable! The... more travel advice
- See All Not too much work via Bicycle
- Herring Weirs
- The Local Supermarket
- Rapid Tidal Changes in Water Levels
Bwana_Brown's Related Pages
Campobello Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Campobello Island - 2006 Bicycle Trip (Part 2)"
- "Campobello Island, New Brunswick, Canada"
- "Campobello Island"
- "Campobello Island"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Campobello Island
- Hotels in Campobello Island
- Transportation in Campobello Island
- Nightlife in Campobello Island
- Restaurants in Campobello Island
- Shopping in Campobello Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Campobello Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Campobello Island
- 14 Reviews
- 36 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 17 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (103)
Have you been to Campobello Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Campobello Island
- Commented on one of Bwana_Brown's Campobello Island tips
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: How to contact new member "
- updated a Campobello Island Travel Page "Campobello Island - 2006 Bicycle Trip (Part 2)"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Campobello Island - 2006 Bicycle Trip (Part 2)"
- Wrote a Review Campobello Island is Located HERE in Campobello Island Favorites
Photos in Campobello IslandSee All Photos (36)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Andalucía Intro, 60 reviews, 186 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of New Brunswick Intro, 70 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaspé Intro, 51 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belize Intro, 66 reviews, 140 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Ontario Intro, 46 reviews, 144 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yellowstone National Park Intro, 42 reviews, 120 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portugal Intro, 80 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier National Park Intro, 43 reviews, 115 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canada Intro, 45 reviews, 100 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 68 reviews, 71 photos