"Campobello Island - 2006 Bicycle Trip (Part 2)" Campobello Island by Bwana_Brown

Campobello Island Travel Guide: 30 reviews and 79 photos

Campobello Island was the second leg of the Summer 2006 bicycle trip that my buddy Russell and I took, an exercise that we have been carrying on each of the last 5 summers. We struck it lucky with the weather, hitting the Bay of Fundy coast of New Brunswick with virutally perfect biking weather! After a day of island-hopping from the mainland (see my 'Deer Island' page for the details), we set foot on Campobello at 9 AM on our second day and were keen to do some exploring.

Although long inhabited by the Passamaquoddy native Americans of this area, Campobello Island first entered the knowledge of the European world in 1607 when French explorer Samuel de Champlain (founder of Quebec City in 1608) sailed past on his way into Passamaquoddy Bay. The map of the island he drew up called it Port aux Coquilles after the huge numbers of clams that were spotted. However, settlement in the New World was difficult work, and it was not until 1684 that a small group of settlers arrived on the island, scratching out a living with a few horses and cattle and whatever they could glean from the sea. Things remained quiet until the island was granted to Welsh Captain William Owen in 1767 by the British governor of Nova Scotia, Lord William Campbell. Deciding to pay homage to the man who deeded the land to him, Owen named his personal island Camp(o)bell(o) as a play on Campbell's name.

Although the principle livlihood of the island has always depended on the sea, the following centuries also brought changes to the island, as you will see in my 'To Do' tips! Our first task was to hit the road to examine one of these major changes that eventually changed life on the island forever.

The photo shows a couple of tourists ahead of us as they cross the seaweed covered rocks, exposed at low tide, on their way to Head Harbour Lighthouse on the northern tip of the island. Please see my 'General' tip for maps showing both Campobello's location and a close-up of the island.

• Pros:Beautiful coastal scenery and great Parks
  • Cons:It all depends on the weather
  • In a nutshell:A low key and inexpensive place to enjoy the Atlantic coast
  • Last visit to Campobello Island: Aug 2006
  • Intro Updated Sep 19, 2006

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Feb 27, 2014 at 9:38 PM

Love the sound of here! Such a pretty area!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Apr 22, 2009 at 1:22 PM

Hi Glenn, thanks for your visit to my Innsbruck page. I enjoyed reading your Campobello Island tips (I would never have guessed the origin of the name!) and especially like the FDR connection. Tides and lighthouses are always fascinating.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    May 23, 2008 at 11:39 AM

An excellent page - fantastic scenery, very well described, and great shots too, eg of the lighthouse and especially that gorgeous sunset

• GuthrieColin's Profile Photo
    Jan 13, 2008 at 11:09 AM

That's one small ferry compared to our Puget sound variety. Cool lighthouse though and great scenery!

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Sep 18, 2007 at 9:37 PM

No need to go far from home to find an adventure land! Interesting data on the Roosevelt estate! Those herring weirs are really a clever device. It is amazing that each time there is a possibility, locals have invented such devices !

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Nov 11, 2006 at 3:42 AM

Top class page and very beautiful and interesting place, Glenn. Weather, seems to be something important to enjoy this part of our planet.

• tiabunna's Profile Photo
    Oct 25, 2006 at 9:10 PM

Marvellous page on what looks an idyllic place and trip, Glenn. Those tides are amazing - as, I'm sure, whale watching from a ferry must have been!

• PA2AKgirl's Profile Photo
    Oct 22, 2006 at 1:05 PM

I can't wait until we're able to get back to the Maritime Provinces...this looks like the perfect place to go. Wonderful page! When you make it to Alaska (and you will!), we'll all drive the Dalton together...Mileposts for everyone;-)

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo
    Oct 16, 2006 at 7:23 PM

This is truly an outstanding 5-star page. I love the way you weave your story and lots of details into the tips. It puts my new Campobello Island page to shame - but I'll keep trying. GRIN!

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Sep 22, 2006 at 10:35 AM

What a great second part of your bike trip - my goodness, if angels travel, you had the best weather !! :-) I love lighthouses, and once again you have convinced me to plan this part of Canada for a visit once :-))

Bwana_Brown

“Don`t sweat the small stuff”

Badges & Stats in Campobello Island

Have you been to Campobello Island?