"Bwana_Brown's Newfoundland Page" Corner Brook by Bwana_Brown

Corner Brook Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 18 photos

In the summer of 2001 my wife and I decided to take an 8-day road trip to Newfoundland from our home in Fredericton, New Brunswick - 3500 km total as it turned out. The ferry ride across to Port aux Basques from North Sydney, NS was very enjoyable. A sunny day, with the odd whale sighting alongside and a great Newfie band in the lounge. We had pre-booked our accommodations at B&Bs and had great experiences at all stops. The highway system is absolutely great and we quickly made it to Gros Morne National Park. The boat tour of the inland fjord at Western Brook Pond (2300 foot sheer walls) was fantastic. The whole Rocky Harbour area is very nice (take a look at my Deer Lake page for more details). We then headed further north to see ancient settlements at Port au Choix before continuing to St. Anthony's at the northern tip. The only Viking settlement in North America, at L'anse aux Meadows, is very well done and nearby we also had a fantastic whale-watching expedition - humpbacks in the water with engines off and a great lightning storm on the mainland at the same time! My St. Anthony page describes our adventures in that part of the province! The people of Newfoundland were very friendly everywhere we went, the sun was shining and the scenery was breathtaking. The cost is so reasonable that it is criminal. Photo of "Tablelands", a World Heritage Site due to a 260 million year-old chunk of Earth's crust thrust to surface. Its distinctive brownish appearance is due to its chemical composition which is poisonous to all plant and animal life.

• Last visit to Corner Brook: Aug 2001
  • Intro Updated Jan 1, 2004

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Apr 30, 2012 at 12:48 PM

We should definitely visit Newfoundland one day - looks perfect for a road trip! But how horrible to hit a moose (in Maine) - I imagine neither you nor he/she came out of it unscathed?

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Feb 14, 2008 at 1:58 PM

Western Brook Pond looks incredible, a lot like New Zealand and Norway. 127,000 moose! Now, that could only be Canada, eh? ;)

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Mar 9, 2007 at 7:26 PM

It's a very picturesque corner! I didn't know that there is 1 moose per 4 citizens of Newfoundland :-)

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Jul 10, 2006 at 5:49 AM

Lovely little page on Corner Brook Glenn. I have also seen the damage that a moose can do to a vehicle. It's unbelievable.

• victorwkf's Profile Photo
    May 1, 2006 at 8:49 AM

Newfoundland is really nice, Gros Morne NP is awesome! I would really love to come back one day!

• Redlats's Profile Photo
    Sep 15, 2005 at 6:19 PM

We drove from St. John's to L'Anse aux Meadows, and never made it to Corner Brook. We also shied away from night driving -- and saw many moose (just before hunting season).

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Apr 3, 2005 at 12:32 AM

Fascinating landscapes :-) and great tips

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Apr 1, 2005 at 9:11 PM

Corner Brook is looking almost like Norway, with road signs of mooses instead od reindeers ! Reindeers are much lighter in case of car accident !

• windsorgirl's Profile Photo
    Jul 27, 2004 at 3:18 PM

i hope to visit Nfld next summer, thanks for the excellent tips, very well written, as always. I'll be back to see more of your Newfoundland pages.

• Oct 25, 2003 at 1:42 PM

I never knew there was a 4 lane highway for so much of the drive. I really must get out of St. John's on my next trip to NFLD! Great pics!

Bwana_Brown

“Don`t sweat the small stuff”

Badges & Stats in Corner Brook

Have you been to Corner Brook?

Latest Activity in Corner Brook