"Deer Island - 2006 Bicycle Trip (Part 1)" Deer Island by Bwana_Brown

Deer Island Travel Guide: 26 reviews and 67 photos

Every summer, my buddy Russell and I take off to some extremity of New Brunswick for a weekend of biking the countryside, whether we are ready or not! It started with the Northumberland Strait shores opposite Prince Edward Island (2002), then the distant northeast corner of the province on my 'Miscou Island' page (2003), the largest of the south coast Bay of Fundy Islands on my 'Grand Manan' page (2004) and then 'Kouchibougouac National Park' (2005). I do enough world travels that I don't really care where we go on these jaunts within beautiful New Brunswick, so Russ gets to pick where he would like to explore! This time, we decided to take in both Deer and Campobello Islands - smaller cousins of nearby Grand Manan that we had already explored.

Since we are just 'fooling around' with the biking, we don't bother carrying tenting and camping gear with us - simply booking ahead for lodging in our destination of choice. As things turned out, we had virtually perfect biking weather for the entire trip, with sunny days and temperatures in the 24 C (75 F) range every day - once we got past some cloudy weather on the first morning of the 3-day jaunt.

Deer Island was our first stop, after crossing over from mainland New Brunswick via a free provincial ferry system. While on the island we enjoyed the coastal views, saw the largest whirlpool in the Western Hemisphere in action and dined at a 'Where to Eat in Canada' seafood restaurant. The biking was not quite so leisurely in places - I did not realize that this small island along the border with the USA had so many hills!! The second part of our trip is described in my 'Campobello Island' page, a place where Canada and the USA have a joint park commemorating the many years that former President Franklin D. Roosevelt spent there and also the site of the most photographed lighthouse in New Brunswick.

• Pros:Very laid back - a peaceful and scenic spot
  • Cons:Shuts down on Sundays!
  • In a nutshell:A great and inexpensive off the beaten path destination - if the weather is good!
  • Last visit to Deer Island: Aug 2006
  • Intro Updated Aug 17, 2006

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Feb 16, 2014 at 4:06 AM

What a nice tradition you and your friend have! Good that you were lucky with the weather for your biking trip to Deer Island.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
      Feb 16, 2014 at 4:37 AM

I'm glad to see that you enjoyed this little page of mine! Yes, those many local biking trips that Russell and I took every summer gave us immense pleasure, we had a great time in the outdoors and usually a lot of laughs as well !!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Apr 14, 2009 at 5:31 AM

That must have been a very fit young couple who had been biking for 8 days to make it to New Brunswick from New York City! -- I also know that great feeling of riding my bike up to the head of the line of vehicles when boarding a ferry.

• Jul 12, 2008 at 6:18 AM

Beautiful island! Great tips and pictures!

• traveldave's Profile Photo
    May 1, 2008 at 10:37 AM

That's a beautiful island--a great place for a leisurely bike ride. I'd never heard of the whirlpool, very fascinating.

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Sep 30, 2007 at 9:47 PM

The old sow and her numerous piglets look like an impressive thing! It is always impressive to see the strength of nature that nothing can harness, especially when it is apparently as calm as the surface of water!

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo
    Jun 26, 2007 at 11:44 AM

I always learn so much from your pages. Sounds like fun too - idyllic cycling, great fishing and lots of interesting spots to explore. Deer Island here we come - someday.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Jan 4, 2007 at 5:06 PM

Great find and beautiful corner of Canada/USA. Seafood, natural whirlpools, fishing and bicycle trip sound very exciting.

• RickinDutch's Profile Photo
    Aug 29, 2006 at 9:46 AM

What a beautiful corner of Canada! Sounds like a fun trip. Birthday greetings from Alaska!

• tiabunna's Profile Photo
    Aug 29, 2006 at 7:26 AM

That fishing trip certainly produced some amazing results! Quite a fascinating little backwater (if that's an appropriate term with whirlpools around).

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Aug 25, 2006 at 4:06 PM

When you're up against piranha clams, it's always good to have a good buddy and a having one to do trips like this every summer is pricelss.

Bwana_Brown

“Don`t sweat the small stuff”

Badges & Stats in Deer Island

Have you been to Deer Island?

Latest Activity in Deer Island