"Deer Island - 2006 Bicycle Trip (Part 1)" Deer Island by Bwana_Brown
Deer Island Travel Guide: 26 reviews and 67 photos
Every summer, my buddy Russell and I take off to some extremity of New Brunswick for a weekend of biking the countryside, whether we are ready or not! It started with the Northumberland Strait shores opposite Prince Edward Island (2002), then the distant northeast corner of the province on my 'Miscou Island' page (2003), the largest of the south coast Bay of Fundy Islands on my 'Grand Manan' page (2004) and then 'Kouchibougouac National Park' (2005). I do enough world travels that I don't really care where we go on these jaunts within beautiful New Brunswick, so Russ gets to pick where he would like to explore! This time, we decided to take in both Deer and Campobello Islands - smaller cousins of nearby Grand Manan that we had already explored.
Since we are just 'fooling around' with the biking, we don't bother carrying tenting and camping gear with us - simply booking ahead for lodging in our destination of choice. As things turned out, we had virtually perfect biking weather for the entire trip, with sunny days and temperatures in the 24 C (75 F) range every day - once we got past some cloudy weather on the first morning of the 3-day jaunt.
Deer Island was our first stop, after crossing over from mainland New Brunswick via a free provincial ferry system. While on the island we enjoyed the coastal views, saw the largest whirlpool in the Western Hemisphere in action and dined at a 'Where to Eat in Canada' seafood restaurant. The biking was not quite so leisurely in places - I did not realize that this small island along the border with the USA had so many hills!! The second part of our trip is described in my 'Campobello Island' page, a place where Canada and the USA have a joint park commemorating the many years that former President Franklin D. Roosevelt spent there and also the site of the most photographed lighthouse in New Brunswick.
- Pros:Very laid back - a peaceful and scenic spot
- Cons:Shuts down on Sundays!
- In a nutshell:A great and inexpensive off the beaten path destination - if the weather is good!
For the C$50 (US$44) per person price of our 3-hour fishing expedition, Reid outfitted each of us with a rod, equipped... more travel advice
Deer Island is located in the southwest corner of Canada's Maritime Provinces, in New Brunswick and on the border with... more travel advice
Bwana_Brown's Related Pages
Deer Island Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Deer Island
- Hotels in Deer Island
- Transportation in Deer Island
- Restaurants in Deer Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Deer Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Deer Island
- 14 Reviews
- 40 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 17 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (155)
Have you been to Deer Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Deer Island
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Off the beaten path vs..."
- Commented on one of Bwana_Brown's Deer Island tips
- Uploaded a Photo to "A Salt Water Fishing Trip"
- Wrote a Review We haul them in! in Deer Island Sports & Outdoors
- updated a Deer Island Travel Page "Deer Island - 2006 Bicycle Trip (Part 1)"
Photos in Deer IslandSee All Photos (40)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Andalucía Intro, 60 reviews, 186 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of New Brunswick Intro, 70 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaspé Intro, 51 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belize Intro, 66 reviews, 140 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Ontario Intro, 46 reviews, 144 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yellowstone National Park Intro, 42 reviews, 120 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portugal Intro, 80 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier National Park Intro, 43 reviews, 115 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canada Intro, 45 reviews, 100 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 68 reviews, 71 photos