"Gros Morne National Park" Deer Lake by Bwana_Brown

Deer Lake Travel Guide: 32 reviews and 59 photos

The Gem of Newfoundland

To reach the 1000-year old Viking settlement and the amazing whale watching voyages at the northern tip of Newfoundland (see my St. Anthony's page), you have to pass through Gros Morne National Park if you are driving overland - and there are not many other ways to get there! During our week-long trip to this part of Newfoundland, my wife and I had excellent weather and we were able to maximize our few short days in this amazing UNESCO World Heritage Site! Although not in Deer Lake itself, the entrance to the National Park is a short 30 km drive off the main Trans-Canada Highway passing through the city and there is no other nearby site on VT that it can be ascribed to! The main attractions of the park are its two geological 'stars' - the Tablelands (a 260 million year old chunk of the Earths crust left high and dry) and Western Brook Pond (an inland fjord with 2300 foot sheer cliffs). We paid the standard park fee of about US$22 for our visit. The photo shows Western Brook Pond as you enter it and, if you look closely, exactly where the left cliff meets the water, you will see the tiny black speck of the other tour boat that accompanied ours!

• Pros:Two of the most amazing natural wonders in the world
  • Cons:The weather is touchy - we were lucky to have it sunny and 'warm' !
  • In a nutshell:Something that you will never forget!
  • Last visit to Deer Lake: Aug 2001
  • Intro Updated Jan 1, 2004

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Nov 27, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Wow! You could be in Norway! The scenery is stunning. The boat trip would be a must to do, glad you were able to go for the cruise.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Apr 30, 2012 at 12:44 PM

Stunning scenery! I can't think why they call that huge expanse of water a "pond" though ;-) With fresh seafood too, this is my sort of place!

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Jul 6, 2011 at 10:28 AM

Glenn, another fantastic page of yours. B&Bs are always great for getting in contact with other people.

• chewy3326's Profile Photo
    Jan 24, 2006 at 11:54 AM

Gros Morne looks like a beautiful park!

• whitecliff62's Profile Photo
    Jun 12, 2005 at 1:03 PM

Hi Glenn, what a breathtaking place, and not a ploughman in sight LOL

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Apr 1, 2005 at 9:17 PM

I can now understand why the Vikings could feel perfectly at home in Newfoundland !

• pepples46's Profile Photo
    Jan 7, 2005 at 6:00 PM

what an intro pic, fantastic area, superbly presented.so many comparisons with NZ, amazing stuff. tks for sharing Glenn

• jamiesno's Profile Photo
    Dec 27, 2004 at 4:07 PM

Gros Morne another place I've been but havn't explored properly yet! Another hopefully next summer. I either want to hike or cruise into those Fjiords!

• windsorgirl's Profile Photo
    Aug 15, 2004 at 2:53 PM

Stunning photos from the boat trip and sunset. I hope to "do" Newfoundland next summer, thanks for the helpful tips.

• Redlats's Profile Photo
    Aug 13, 2004 at 9:01 PM

Thanks a lot for the info. We are going there in three weeks, so appreciated your informative pages.

Bwana_Brown

“Don`t sweat the small stuff”

Badges & Stats in Deer Lake

Have you been to Deer Lake?

Latest Activity in Deer Lake