"Gros Morne National Park" Deer Lake by Bwana_Brown
Deer Lake Travel Guide: 33 reviews and 63 photos
To reach the 1000-year old Viking settlement and the amazing whale watching voyages at the northern tip of Newfoundland (see my St. Anthony's page), you have to pass through Gros Morne National Park if you are driving overland - and there are not many other ways to get there! During our week-long trip to this part of Newfoundland, my wife and I had excellent weather and we were able to maximize our few short days in this amazing UNESCO World Heritage Site! Although not in Deer Lake itself, the entrance to the National Park is a short 30 km drive off the main Trans-Canada Highway passing through the city and there is no other nearby site on VT that it can be ascribed to! The main attractions of the park are its two geological 'stars' - the Tablelands (a 260 million year old chunk of the Earths crust left high and dry) and Western Brook Pond (an inland fjord with 2300 foot sheer cliffs). We paid the standard park fee of about US$22 for our visit. The photo shows Western Brook Pond as you enter it and, if you look closely, exactly where the left cliff meets the water, you will see the tiny black speck of the other tour boat that accompanied ours!
- Pros:Two of the most amazing natural wonders in the world
- Cons:The weather is touchy - we were lucky to have it sunny and 'warm' !
- In a nutshell:Something that you will never forget!
As outlined in my Corner Brook page, we drove from New Brunswick via Nova Scotia and then a ferry to Newfoundland.... more travel advice
Once we had hit the high points of Gros Morne, we continued our trip northward along the peninsula, heading for Vikings... more travel advice
Bwana_Brown's Related Pages
Deer Lake Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Gros Morne National Park"
- "Starting place of the Viking Trail"
- "Deer Lake - A Simple Town By The Lake"
- "Stop in my way to the Gros Morne National Park"
- "Gros Morne National park"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Deer Lake
- Hotels in Deer Lake
- Transportation in Deer Lake
- Nightlife in Deer Lake
- Restaurants in Deer Lake
- Shopping in Deer Lake
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Deer Lake
- 10 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (155)
Have you been to Deer Lake?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Deer Lake
Photos in Deer LakeSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Andalucía Intro, 60 reviews, 186 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of New Brunswick Intro, 70 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaspé Intro, 51 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belize Intro, 66 reviews, 140 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Ontario Intro, 46 reviews, 144 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yellowstone National Park Intro, 42 reviews, 120 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portugal Intro, 80 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier National Park Intro, 43 reviews, 115 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canada Intro, 45 reviews, 100 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 68 reviews, 71 photos