"Take in the World's Highest Tides" Five Islands by Bwana_Brown

Five Islands Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 3 photos

Scenic Route

On my way back to Fredericton, New Brunswick from a 3-day meeting in Halifax, Nova Scotia I decided to veer off the 4-lane highway at Truro and take the scenic route home! I cannot remember how many times I have driven this trip via the direct route but, on a beautifully warm day in September I decided it was time to detour and check out the north coast of Minas Basin - its 50-foot tides are the highest in the world. No matter where you are in the world, get off the main highways if you really want to get a feel for what the surrounding area is like. Although the road is not a bad paved road, there are a few bumpy patches and you will just have to slow down and enjoy the great scenery. This photo shows the most impressive of the Five Islands, off-shore from a little community located about half-way along the north coast between Truro and the tip of the peninsula jutting out into the Bay of Fundy. Although the tide was quite low, the west-setting sun was beaming in on me so my chances for good photos was somewhat restricted.

• Pros:A laid back and rustic area
  • Cons:Off-the-beaten path for most
  • In a nutshell:A great place to stop and chill-out!
  • Last visit to Five Islands: Sep 2003
  • Intro Updated Sep 20, 2003

• SteveOSF's Profile Photo
    Aug 26, 2008 at 9:22 AM

This seems like a scenic stretch of coastline.

• robertgaz's Profile Photo
    May 26, 2008 at 5:02 PM

Brrr... if these water are as cold as you say I'm outta here ;~)

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Mar 10, 2007 at 11:30 PM

Beautiful area. I like their names: Five Fingers and Economy!

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Apr 21, 2005 at 8:21 PM

I love clam chowder !

• Redlats's Profile Photo
    Dec 8, 2004 at 2:11 PM

We never made it to the north side of the Minas Basin. How come pictures of Nova Scotia are so often overcast? I like the pictures of the islands

• freya_heaven's Profile Photo
    Aug 17, 2004 at 5:19 PM

Planning our first trip to Canada will be to Nova Scotia. This looks a beautiful area, if strange named...... Five Fingers, Economy! (~_~)

• sim1's Profile Photo
    Nov 21, 2003 at 3:50 PM

Great photo of the 'Hole in the Wall'! I loved going here as a detour myself. I was surprised by the beauty of this area!

• tessy's Profile Photo
    Oct 10, 2003 at 3:25 PM

Looks absolutely great! Beautiful scenery!

• craic's Profile Photo
    Sep 28, 2003 at 10:16 AM

Fascinating. Great stuff.

• herzog63's Profile Photo
    Sep 22, 2003 at 10:41 AM

You won't want to fall asleep on those beaches at low tide!! Love that "Hole in the Wall" photo!!

Bwana_Brown

“Don`t sweat the small stuff”

Badges & Stats in Five Islands

Have you been to Five Islands?

Latest Activity in Five Islands