"A short Sunday morning drive" Fort Qu'Appelle by Bwana_Brown

Fort Qu'Appelle Travel Guide: 11 reviews and 24 photos

It had been a while since I had broken free of Regina for just a leisurely drive in the countryside, so I set out before 8 AM on a Sunday morning to explore another little part of Saskatchewan within a reasonable distance of the city.

I decided on a drive through the countryside toward the east before swinging north toward the Qu'Appelle River to view a part of it I had not yet visited and to see how it was looking now that summer was almost upon us - the last time I saw the river it was still in the grip of winter. It turned out to be quite an interesting drive, considering the fact it only took me 3 hours!

As well as spotting a Deer and several species of birds, I discovered a nice Bison paddock, an alert Llama 'guard', a graveyard for old trucks, a couple of abandoned homesteads and a string of four small lakes that I didn't even know existed! I love the back roads for the things that just crop up and not another vehicle in sight for miles and miles.

I picked Fort Qu'Appelle as the VT site for this trip because it is the only community in their database in the area of my little jaunt. Although I was within a couple of miles of the town as I crossed the river near Echo Lake, I never actually saw it. A fort was first established there in 1864 by the Hudson's Bay Company as part of their extensive network of fur-trading establishments all across western Canada. Not long afterward, Chief Sitting Bull and his Sioux nation followers spent the years 1876-81 seeking sanctuary in this area following their victory over US Army General Custer during the numerous Indian wars in the western plains of USA. There was no resulting violence in Canada due to the arrival of the Sioux, but the demise of the great Bison herds all across western North America led to wide-spread starvation which eventually drove the Sioux nation back to the USA as they accepted an amnesty for wiping out Custer and his troops in defense of their homelands. By 1897 Fort Qu'Appelle was no longer needed as a defensive establishment in Canada.

• Pros:Always something different to see on the back roads!
  • Cons:Winter
  • In a nutshell:A nice drive but don't expect anything spectacular
  • Last visit to Fort Qu'Appelle: Jun 2008
  • Intro Updated Jun 20, 2009

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Jun 22, 2009 at 7:41 PM

The Bison are fantastic. What a wonderful adventure. You have a keen eye for finding some really beautiful countrysides.

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Jun 21, 2009 at 9:55 AM

Looking forward to read of your longer trip here in Saskatchewan!!

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Nov 21, 2008 at 10:22 PM

What a wonderful exploration trip :-)) I like these old abandoned farms and how nature starts to take over. The lakes are beautiful, will you go back for fishing one day? And I love this llama, good that you departed as friends :-)

• tiabunna's Profile Photo
    Jul 16, 2008 at 4:29 PM

An interesting detour into rural Saskatchewan, Glenn. I could identify with those quiet roads and empty farmhouses, even the llamas, but the image of bison quickly took me back to Canada!

• Camping_Girl's Profile Photo
    Jul 12, 2008 at 11:30 AM

Great Saskatchewan pages, Glenn, you are putting me to shame! I used to spend many Sunday afternoons swimming and boating at Katepwa, I enjoyed the photos.

• mindcrime's Profile Photo
    Jun 26, 2008 at 10:30 PM

Thanx for the comment about my Segovia page! I never been to Canada but I always like these small unkown towns. And those llamas look so weird to me :)

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Jun 25, 2008 at 4:14 AM

What an interesting little side trip. Nice Bison and Llama, glad the Llama was not irritated by you. Loved the lonely Texaco sign. Texaco stations are back in Texas. It was proven Texaco signage sells gasoline here.

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Jun 24, 2008 at 9:52 AM

Love your intro photo with the lama! Very out of the way place :)

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Jun 19, 2008 at 11:50 AM

Glad the Llama did not become agitated [for your sake]. Wonderful photos of both the Llama and the American Bison. Sad to see all the abandoned farm homes. Found the Texaco info fascinating. Wondered why I had not seen Texaco signs for years.

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Jun 14, 2008 at 9:50 PM

Fascinating off the beaten path trip!

Bwana_Brown

“Don`t sweat the small stuff”

Badges & Stats in Fort Qu'Appelle

Have you been to Fort Qu'Appelle?