"Gagetown - how to get there the hard way!" Gagetown by Bwana_Brown
Gagetown Travel Guide: 21 reviews and 41 photos
For the 6th annual summer biking trip of my buddy Russell and I, we decided to do an inland exploration instead of one of our usual coastal jaunts. Because Russ had been on vacation in New York City for a week and then, shortly after he returned, I had week-long wedding committments in Toronto, it was early September before we managed to slip this abbreviated day-trip into our schedules.
In a way, it too turned out to be sort of a 'coastal' biking trip because we decided to see what it would be like to travel along the old abandoned Canadian National Railway right-of-way beside the Saint John River as it winds its way between Saint John and Fredericton. Realizing that we did not know what we would encounter, we decided to keep things manageable by just doing the 40-km (26-mi) section between Oak Point and Gagetown. It turned out to be quite an interesting adventure and also the most difficult of any of our bike tours! The map in my 'General Tips' gives an overview of our route and also shows where we had to leave the rail bed and travel by highway when the going got too tough. The old provincial highway system that runs along the banks of the Saint John River for its entire length in New Brunswick is designated as a provincial 'scenic route' - so our bicycle journey offers a glimpse of what you might expect to see or do if you make this trip the sensible way - by car!
- Pros:Beautiful views when not in the undergrowth!
- Cons:Tough biking in parts
- In a nutshell:A unique experience
We started our bike trip at the small community of Oak Point, about a third of the way up the Saint John River between... more travel advice
It was mostly downhill on the road from the orchard, so it was great to just sit back and let the bike coast or give it... more travel advice
Bwana_Brown's Related Pages
Gagetown Travel Guide
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Gagetown
- 21 Reviews
- 41 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 19 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (103)
Have you been to Gagetown?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gagetown
Photos in GagetownSee All Photos (41)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Andalucía Intro, 60 reviews, 186 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of New Brunswick Intro, 70 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaspé Intro, 51 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belize Intro, 66 reviews, 140 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Ontario Intro, 46 reviews, 144 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yellowstone National Park Intro, 42 reviews, 120 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portugal Intro, 80 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier National Park Intro, 43 reviews, 115 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canada Intro, 45 reviews, 100 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 68 reviews, 71 photos