"Grand Manan Island - Idyllic Ocean Getaway !" Grand Manan by Bwana_Brown
Grand Manan Travel Guide: 60 reviews and 57 photos
Grand Manan, located only 9 miles off the coast of Maine, USA, is the largest of the Bay of Fundy islands belonging to the Canadian Province of New Brunswick. Even so, it is relatively small in size, at only 16 miles long with a total area of 53 square miles. The name of the island derives from the Passamaquoddy Indian name 'mun a nouk' meaning 'island in the sea'. During a storm on March 16,1606, the French explorer Samuel de Champlain (founder of Quebec City) was driven to shelter on one of the small islands in the chain. In his accounts of the experience, he added the word 'Grand' to 'menan', the French corruption of the original Indian name. Although the island was first permanently settled on May 6, 1784 by British Loyalists fleeing from the American colonies when their War of Independence from Britain was won (in Canada it is called the Revolutionary War!), the island was claimed as American territory until 1817 when it was exchanged for three small islands in present day Maine in nearby Passamaquoddy Bay. With its world record 50-foot tides and ice-cold water from the Arctic current, the Bay of Fundy is rich in marine life. In fact, the abundance of marine life has made this a prime feeding ground for several species of whales. Historically, the 2,500 residents of this tree-covered island relied on the ocean for their livlihood, harvesting lobster, scallops, herring and now salmon farming. Although I had been to the island once many years previously on electric power business, the trip in September, 1994 was purely for fun on the occasion of a visit from England by my wife's sister (The first Tips in some sections cover this trip). We had great early Autumn weather during our brief 2-day stay and enjoyed the island's growing tourist delights of whalewatching and coastal hiking.
It was 10-years later that I next returned, for a 3-day biking trip with my buddy Russell. We had a fantastic time exploring this island with the sun shining (and sometimes the fog not shining!) and the wind blowing past us! Most of the Tips on this page deal with this July, 2004 trip.
- Pros:Rustic, inexpensive and relaxing!
- Cons:Be prepared for changeable weather!
- In a nutshell:An amazing escape destination !
There are many different types of fisheries carried on in these very productive waters. It varies with different fishing... more travel advice
One of the pleasures of biking around the island was the wonderful aromas coming from the many wild plants that seem to... more travel advice
Bwana_Brown's Related Pages
Grand Manan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Grand Manan Island - Idyllic Ocean Getaway !"
- "Grand Manan, New Brunswick"
- "Grand Manan Island, New Brunswick, Canada"
- "An Island Afloat on the Bay of Fundy!"
- "Grand Manan"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Grand Manan
- Hotels in Grand Manan
- Transportation in Grand Manan
- Nightlife in Grand Manan
- Restaurants in Grand Manan
- Warnings and Dangers in Grand Manan
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Grand Manan
- 45 Reviews
- 46 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 27 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (103)
Have you been to Grand Manan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Grand Manan
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: How to contact new member "
- updated a Grand Manan Travel Page "Grand Manan Island - Idyllic Ocean Getaway !"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Grand Manan Island - Idyllic Ocean Getaway !"
- Commented on one of cymbaline77's Grand Manan travel pages
- Wrote a Review Fishing in Grand Manan Local Customs
Photos in Grand MananSee All Photos (46)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Andalucía Intro, 60 reviews, 186 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of New Brunswick Intro, 70 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaspé Intro, 51 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belize Intro, 66 reviews, 140 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Ontario Intro, 46 reviews, 144 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yellowstone National Park Intro, 42 reviews, 120 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portugal Intro, 80 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier National Park Intro, 43 reviews, 115 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canada Intro, 45 reviews, 100 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 68 reviews, 71 photos