"Visit a traditional Maple syrup operation" Hampton by Bwana_Brown

Hampton Travel Guide: 10 reviews and 25 photos

By the end of March, the Spring weather was in full operation in New Brunswick and this means one thing - the sap is flowing again in the Sugar Maple forests and it is time to make some Maple syrup! The Kennebecasis Naturalist Society in southern New Brunswick was planning a short day trip to a traditional sugar camp located not far from Hampton, so my mother and I decided it would be a great day for a short tromp in the woods (see my 'General Tips' for a map showing the location of our little expedition).

Harvesting of the sweet sap from Maple trees is something the native Americans stumbled onto in long ago ages and they passed their methods on to the early European settlers in this part of the world. This was a real blessing in those early days when nearby sources of supplies were very few and far between! It turns out that bee's honey and maple syrup are the only two natural sweeteners in the world, with the maple having an advantage by virtue of its high calcium content (15 times greater than honey) and a salt content only 1/10th that of honey.

Before visiting the 'sugar shack' operation on the M&N Morin Maple company farm, we first stopped for a late 'breakfast' at the nearby rustic McCrea Farms building on the slopes overlooking Washademoac Lake, a tributary of the large Saint John River. With a bit of maple syrup on the crepes and pancakes, we got to sample a taste of this elixir before actually going to see how it is produced!

• Pros:A nice short forest tour in the fresh Spring airs
  • Cons:Only possible for a short period during Spring weather
  • In a nutshell:A very enjoyable and educational way to spend half a day
  • Last visit to Hampton: Mar 2007
  • Intro Updated Apr 3, 2007

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Sep 30, 2007 at 9:59 PM

This maple syrup processing is very interesting and your photos help to understand better how it works.

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo
    Apr 30, 2007 at 4:17 PM

One of the few times I can rate a "sappy" page, and have it be a good thing!

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Apr 28, 2007 at 12:37 PM

If marple syrup is producing in Russia it would be only by-product in relation to the primary - to alcohol... Thanks Glenn for unusual and very attractive page!

• tiabunna's Profile Photo
    Apr 27, 2007 at 5:46 AM

Not just an interesting page, but positively educational, Glenn. Three useful lessons: how to make maple syrup; watching for deer; and to ensure younger brothers test theories about wasps! :-))

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Apr 17, 2007 at 8:37 AM

Yum, and yum again! Sugarbush Tours looks amazing as does Crafts Cove Road, the Sugar Maple Sap harvest step by step. But, my favorite of these tips was the white tail deer you captured so beautifully.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Apr 12, 2007 at 1:11 PM

I am not a fan of maple syrup (too sweet for me) but all those picturesque river valleys, treed hillsides and rolling farmlands of New Brunswick sound very attractive to me.

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Apr 7, 2007 at 8:57 PM

what an incredible way to gain calories ! Maple syrup was totally unknown for me, when I read about it in the book about the Trapp.family 40 years ago. Now it is quite usual, but still expensive aleady in Austria, too !

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Apr 7, 2007 at 1:21 PM

Now, I know why the stuff cost so much, Glenn! We love it and will be having an Easter morning breakfast of French Toast w/ the marvelous nectar tomorrow. Yes, Ingrid we DO have some nice things in North American too. ;)

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Apr 4, 2007 at 10:42 AM

Ah Glenn, I like this !! Not only did I learn how this wonderful delicious golden heavenly liquid is being "produced" - I am craving for it now :-) Amazing that they offer these explanatory tours for free !

Bwana_Brown

“Don`t sweat the small stuff”

Badges & Stats in Hampton

Have you been to Hampton?