"A beautiful drive to Kingston" Top 5 Page for this destination Kingston by Bwana_Brown

Kingston Travel Guide: 184 reviews and 393 photos

My wife and I had to make a 1400-kilometre (870-mile) mad dash to Toronto for a family wedding, taking divided superhighways the whole way, including passing through Montreal. As a result, we decided to slow down an smell the roses a bit on our homeward leg by taking a secondary highway route to beautiful Kingston, Ontario. This city is located where the Great Lakes empty into the mighty St. Lawrence River amid a confusing array of small islands - known as the Thousand Islands area. We did not have a lot of spare time to spend in Kingston itself, but the beautiful lakeside drive through farmlands and historic small towns left us well satisfied with our decision! The entire coast along this part of Lake Ontario is full of historic buildings dating from the 1780s when British 'Loyalists' fled north from the American Revolution and began their new lives along this watery 'highway' of Quebec and eastern Ontario.

• Pros:Located in the beautiful 1000-Islands area
  • In a nutshell:A historic city with a fantastic location
  • Last visit to Kingston: Aug 2007
  • Intro Updated Nov 17, 2007

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Jul 22, 2009 at 3:36 PM

Came looking for Tobermory found a nice little Vietnamese restaurant in Kingston. Always wanted to the Oktoberfest here, who have thought they had winery. Looks like a very pretty place I missed on my many Toronto-London runs.

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo
    Jan 6, 2008 at 1:51 PM

very nice photos and tips. seems like a lovely place to spend a couple of days.

• Highbrae's Profile Photo
    Nov 10, 2007 at 6:54 PM

This is not Kingston Penitentiary. This is Collins Bay Penitentiary.

• Mikebb's Profile Photo
    Sep 30, 2007 at 3:44 PM

Hi We stopped cat Kingston on 3rd June for Sunday lunch, on our way from Otawwa to Toronto. This drive was beautiful, our coach director spoke highly of Kingston.

• antistar's Profile Photo
    Sep 23, 2007 at 1:23 PM

This must be an amazing place if even the local prison is so stunning. Great information eloquently dispensed.

• Luchonda's Profile Photo
    Sep 11, 2007 at 9:59 AM

Excellent info on the oldest prison in Canada

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Sep 10, 2007 at 8:27 AM

That's a rather fancy prison! Do they serve a buffet breakfast and teain the afternoons? ;-) Looks like a much nicer, and safer, Kingston than the one I visited in Jamaica...

• Sep 7, 2007 at 5:24 AM

interesting to hear that canada has a burgeoning wine industry. i thought it might be a bit too chilly up there! excellent page!

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Sep 6, 2007 at 11:35 PM

Your intro pic looks more like a monastery than a penitentiary! Haha, I wrote that while I had not yet read your tip that says the same! You point out an aspect of history almost forgotten, hidden by US independence, with loyalist escaping to the north!

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Sep 6, 2007 at 11:16 AM

Glen, I really enjoyed this vicarious trip with you. The Kingston Penitentiary was amazing. Murray Canal looks interesting. The attention to detail about the Loyalist Parkway is impressive. Beautiful photographs, too.

Bwana_Brown

“Don`t sweat the small stuff”

Badges & Stats in Kingston

Have you been to Kingston?