"Viking Settlement & Whale Watching" L'Anse aux Meadows by Bwana_Brown

L'Anse aux Meadows Travel Guide: 20 reviews and 49 photos

The Vikings Have Arrived!

In 1960, the first evidence of a Viking settlement in the New World was uncovered by Helge Ingstad, a Norweigen who had been on their trail for years. Based on geographical tips in the ancient Icelandic 'Viking Sagas', and helped by a local who pointed out some strange mounds, he stumbled upon L'anse aux Meadows. Founded in about 1000 AD, the Vikings had beaten Columbus by 500 years as they landed on this far northern tip of Newfoundland that had been used by the aboriginal tribes since about 6000 BC. This oldest European settlement in the New World was declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1978 and is presently administered by Parks Canada. Photo of a typical Viking sod hut that has been restored to what it would have looked like 1000 years ago. To view our experiences at Newfoundland's other UNESCO site, on our way to L'Anse aux Meadows, near St. Anthony, check out the Inland Fjords and Tablelands in my Deer Lake page!

• Pros:It is very far off the beaten track
  • Cons:It is very far off the beaten track
  • In a nutshell:One of the World's Great Wonders!
  • Last visit to L'Anse aux Meadows: Aug 2001
  • Intro Updated Sep 5, 2005

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    May 25, 2010 at 2:33 PM

I do love these lesser known places :) always a place for me & I would love whale WATCHING

• Dester's Profile Photo
    Mar 2, 2009 at 11:07 AM

Great tips and photos, I'm glad to see the area Has changed for the better since the seventies. Hope you had a chance to try the brewis.

• tiabunna's Profile Photo
    Jan 7, 2008 at 3:26 AM

Pity this is so far OTBP, Glen - would be the place I'd most like to visit in Canada. Your enjoyable page just reinforces the "... if only" feeling!

• pepples46's Profile Photo
    Aug 10, 2006 at 11:48 PM

the old Vikings, busy people. great infos here Glenn and fine pix

• victorwkf's Profile Photo
    Jan 18, 2006 at 9:03 AM

Thanks for the wonderful information! One of my biggest regret is that i'm unable to visit this place when I was in Newfoundland. Hope I can visit the maritime provinces in summer next time :)

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Sep 20, 2005 at 11:57 PM

Interesting to see the traces of the Wikings in Canada. - their graves in the Orkney Islands look almost the same !

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Apr 1, 2005 at 9:23 PM

This is a very exciting destination, Viking remains and whale watching ! Great !

• jamiesno's Profile Photo
    Dec 27, 2004 at 4:00 PM

Glenn that is a great whale picture, I'll have to email you some from Battle Harbour, of the tails especially. I can't beleive I havn't gone to L'anse aux Meadows yet! I will go next summer, it's just one of those places that's close and you forget!

• Redlats's Profile Photo
    Nov 2, 2004 at 11:58 PM

Very descriptive page. I guess whales must have seasons, we did not see any nor hear of sightings from other tourists in our Nfld trip

• windsorgirl's Profile Photo
    Aug 27, 2004 at 2:47 PM

I'm gathering more great tips from you for my future trip to Newfoundland. Whales and wildlife are right up my alley. Thanks, Glenn.

Bwana_Brown

“Don`t sweat the small stuff”

Badges & Stats in L'Anse aux Meadows

Have you been to L'Anse aux Meadows?