"A Canoeing Paradise" Magaguadavic Lake by Bwana_Brown

Magaguadavic Lake Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 15 photos

Abundant Waterways

At 90% coverage, New Brunswick is North America's most heavily forested Province or State and it also is criss-crossed by lakes, rivers and streams - not to mention its coastal areas! As a result, you can very quickly escape to wilderness whenever you feel like it! In my younger days, I used to take the odd weekend canoe trip in the Magaguadavic Lake (pronounced Mack-a-davic) area, about a 40-minute drive away near Harvey. This page is a history of one of these excursions that I took 20 years ago with one of my buddies! I will tell you that not much has changed in the intervening years - New Brunswick is still Off the Beaten Track and there are plenty of wide open spaces still out there! This photo shows a sandy beach on Little Magaguadavic Lake where we landed to stretch our legs and have a cold Moosehead beer! To the left is 'The Thoroughfare' passage back into Magaguadavic Lake.

• Pros:A good-sized lake, perfect for canoeing with lots of wilderness shoreline
  • Cons:Difficult to spot boulders just under the surface
  • In a nutshell:Fantastic place for a boating experience and quite close to home
  • Last visit to Magaguadavic Lake: Jun 2003
  • Intro Updated May 17, 2007

• traveldave's Profile Photo
    Feb 2, 2008 at 6:30 AM

I love camping in the North Woods. When I was a kid, we camped in similar places in Maine, and also heard the eerie calls of the loon. Gotta love the name Gut-A-Moose Lodge!

• goingsolo's Profile Photo
    Jun 10, 2007 at 12:19 PM

Sounds like a great wilderness experience! I'd love a small island to myself. :)

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Jun 3, 2007 at 4:21 AM

What a beautiful and tranquil place for canoeing! Interesting to hear what the ice makes with granite bolders.

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    May 29, 2007 at 6:47 PM

Fried onions and pork chops? Man, I guess THAT did taste good. Now, all we get is dried food to safe weight! lol Great page, I wish I could have washed it down with an ice cold Moosehead!

• Jenniflower's Profile Photo
    May 26, 2007 at 2:57 PM

Camping, canoeing, wildlife... a better holiday one could not hope for :) Lovely page Glenn!

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    May 19, 2007 at 10:32 PM

What a lovely natural scenery far away from civilisation ! This looks like a great place to relax !

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    May 17, 2007 at 10:15 PM

Ah Glenn, I love that one ! Oh yes, canoeing is the best of water transport :-)) I miss it much, and I also agree that the meals do taste better outdoors with the camp stove :-) Good to tell me that there are no bears on islands - I'd be safe then :-)

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    May 17, 2007 at 4:40 AM

I am once again convinced how similar are the nature of Canada and Russia! The Seliger lake is like the Magaguadavic Lake. And like you we had our own personal island for several nights there. Thanks Glenn for sharing!

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Mar 13, 2005 at 1:19 PM

I never suspected that covered bridges were designed to preserve the structure. I thought they were for the comfort of travelers !

• freya_heaven's Profile Photo
    Feb 5, 2005 at 3:17 AM

Very interesting about the covered bridges & your canoeing expedition, great memories to have. Beautiful area to live in Glenn, have a great trip it Argentina (it must be soon?) (~_~)

Bwana_Brown

“Don`t sweat the small stuff”

Badges & Stats in Magaguadavic Lake

Have you been to Magaguadavic Lake?

Latest Activity in Magaguadavic Lake