"Miscou in the Mist" Miscou Island by Bwana_Brown

Miscou Island Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 7 photos

The Northeast Tip of New Brunswick

My buddy, Russell, and I decided that we should do some biking in northern New Brunswick after 10-days of rain made our original plan of hiking along the southern Bay of Fundy coast look like a bad idea! We decided that the two islands on the northeast coast of NB would make a good destination, Lameque and Miscou Islands. These are both located in the heart of the French Acadian area of NB, which always adds an extra flavour to any visit! This island was first sighted by Europeans in 1620 when Basques from Spain arrived on the scene looking for fish and furs. The name of the island is derived from the local Micmac Indian dialect for it, meaning 'moss land'. It was only in recent years (1996) that Miscou Island was joined to Lameque by a bridge - prior to that it was only by ferry in summer and a dangerous ice-road in winter. Of course, there was always a period of a few weeks in both early and late winter when the ice was too unpredictable to allow any crossings at all. Photo of our car with the bikes the day after we had biked to the lighthouse - briefly it looked like the sun would shine!

• Pros:Very Laid Back and Off the Beaten Path
  • Cons:Fog can be a Problem!
  • In a nutshell:A Nice Place to Get Away From it All
  • Last visit to Miscou Island: Aug 2003
  • Intro Updated Aug 11, 2003

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Mar 27, 2009 at 3:47 PM

Sounds like a great bike trip -- and under the circumstances I think you were quite right to forego camping and stay at that great Auberge Janine du Havre. Interesting that it took several tries to colonize the island.

• Jan 27, 2009 at 1:11 PM

Nice pictures you have there! The lighthouse has changed SO much since this picture was taken. We're opening it up fully, top to bottom, this summer for the Acadian World Congress. Everything is redone, but it still has it's old look.

• robertgaz's Profile Photo
    May 5, 2008 at 4:09 PM

Beer 'n' bikkies... that's bikin' in style!

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Feb 2, 2007 at 10:04 AM

Interesting tip on a troubled history. Well, fog is not that bad, even pictures are more interesting, mysterious in foggy weather, but not in rain.

• l_smarrito's Profile Photo
    Aug 13, 2005 at 7:06 PM

I was in Miscou earlier this summer. It is one of the most beautiful places I've ever been. The sun seems like it is up forever. The people there are the kindest, most welcoming people I've ever met. Miscou will always hold a place in my heart.

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Apr 15, 2005 at 9:01 PM

Life must have been really difficult for early settlers in this place !

• pepples46's Profile Photo
    Jan 12, 2005 at 1:27 AM

on an Island we can only hope that the sun will shine hehe. sweet wee place here Glenn, tks for sharing

• Aug 8, 2004 at 5:51 AM

as a child I grew up going to Miscou Island every summer. Wilson's point was named after my family. Picking bake apples on the moss, digging for clams, seafood fro breakfast....it's the life

• Bonobo2005's Profile Photo
    Nov 22, 2003 at 6:32 AM

What a great choice for a bicycle trip, it looks so peaceful there. Excellent tips on this to me unknown place, Glenn incl. the local insights and history! Did you try the local lobster?

• craic's Profile Photo
    Sep 28, 2003 at 10:21 AM

Bit foggy, was it?

Bwana_Brown

“Don`t sweat the small stuff”

Badges & Stats in Miscou Island

Have you been to Miscou Island?

Latest Activity in Miscou Island