"A drive in the Prairies" Netherhill by Bwana_Brown
Netherhill Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 6 photos
Over a 3-day long weekend in November, I decided to make the 8.5-hour drive from Regina, Saskatchewan to just outside the Red Deer, Alberta area in order to help my youngest daughter and her husband with the building of their new house. The snow flurries have already begun for the winter so it was 'all hands to the pumps' to get the structure ready as soon as possible. This page simply shows a few of the sights I saw in southwestern Saskatchewan (between Saskatoon and the Alberta border) as I motored along at a steady 110-kph, not being able to stop hardly at all if I was going to make it to my destination before darkness.
This Intro photo was taken on a narrow and bumpy secondary highway near Mantario that took me literally out into the middle of nowhere. For miles and miles as I drove along, with no sign of civilization in sight in any direction as far as I could see, there were not even power lines or communication towers or anything man-made except the narrow strip of road. However, it was interesting to see these specks of Pronghorn Antelope distantly keeping an eye on my progress from the endless prairie field they were standing in! Inhabiting western North America from the southern Prairies all the way to Mexico, their claim to fame is that they can run at speeds of up to 98 kmp (61 mph), making them second only to the Cheetah as the fastest land mammal in the world.
This drive across the Prairie also meant a milestone for me - although I had already been to all ten Canadian provinces, when I finally passed through Hanna, Alberta it marked the final link in my having actually driven completely across North America from the Atlantic to Pacific Oceans! My wife and I had been by road to the northeastern tip of Newfoundland in 2001 and to the western shores of Vancouver Island in 1999. In between, we had driven from Vancouver to Hanna on our various trips in the west and my recent drive from New Brunswick to Saskatchewan had closed out the remainder of the continent (except for the Regina to Hanna gap)!
- Pros:Some amazingly wide vistas
- Cons:You are a long way from help
- In a nutshell:I thoroughly enjoyed exploring this new territory!
After driving on relatively flat land for long stretches, it was always nice to dip into a river valley now and then for... more travel advice
Just outside Alsask (an apt name for a tiny community located directly on the Alberta-Saskatchewan border) a relic of... more travel advice
Bwana_Brown's Related Pages
Netherhill Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Netherhill
- 4 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (102)
Have you been to Netherhill?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Netherhill
Photos in NetherhillSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Andalucía Intro, 60 reviews, 186 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of New Brunswick Intro, 70 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaspé Intro, 51 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belize Intro, 66 reviews, 140 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Ontario Intro, 46 reviews, 144 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yellowstone National Park Intro, 42 reviews, 120 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portugal Intro, 80 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier National Park Intro, 43 reviews, 115 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canada Intro, 45 reviews, 100 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 68 reviews, 71 photos