"An interesting glimpse into Saskatchewan's past" Old Wives Lake by Bwana_Brown

Old Wives Lake Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 28 photos

Earlier in the first week of April 2008, I had returned from a short vacation in Fredericton, New Brunswick where I had to shovel snow off the roof of our house, chop thick ice away in the driveway and climbed snowbanks that were still about 7 feet high! As a result, the sunny and warm (1 C) Saturday weather in Regina, along with practically zero snow, inspired me to jump into my car and take off for few hours to explore Saskatchewan a bit more.

A look at my map of the province revealed the Old Wives Lake National Migratory Bird Sanctuary is located not too far west and south of the city of Moose Jaw, so that was all the encouragement I needed. It turned out to be another interesting drive in rural Saskatchewan - there is a lot more to this province than one is generally led to believe!

• Pros:You can always find something interesting out there
  • Cons:The number of large ranches make it difficult to get off the highways
  • In a nutshell:I always enjoy driving Saskatchewan's 'back-roads'
  • Last visit to Old Wives Lake: Apr 2008
  • Intro Updated Apr 6, 2008

• Nov 30, 2010 at 3:22 PM

I live at that charolais Bull that Says the rosso

• kokoryko's Profile Photo
    Jun 14, 2010 at 1:31 PM

Rural Saskatchewan! What a nice place and nice page, Glenn! I too like to go out in the countryside and look here and there for “lost” places, looking at old houses, farms and nature; but in the Prairie it has another dimension. :)

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Dec 30, 2009 at 4:58 AM

Now, this is really off the beaten path, Glenn. Great road trip into Canada's Outback. Bird watching, Bits & Bites, and how can you resist a place called Old Wives Lake? Great stuff.

• craic's Profile Photo
    Sep 24, 2009 at 5:16 AM

what a fascinating journey

• Jul 3, 2009 at 3:05 PM

I really enjoyed your photos -- especially the old school building. My great-grandfather was one of the first settlers in the Regina area. He settled in Lumsden. Thanks for sharing your photos. P.S. If I could ever move to SK, I'd move to Avonlea.

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Nov 21, 2008 at 11:49 PM

I really like your pages about rural Canada! And here the fascinating history, together with the old school building. That giant bull looks funny!

• Luchonda's Profile Photo
    May 11, 2008 at 6:12 AM

Interesting detailed birdwatching. Greetz from Belgium

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    May 6, 2008 at 12:28 PM

I loved reading the history of this area, especially the evocative tales and images of the one-room schoolhouse. I grew up with the Little House books and although set in the States I imagine life was much the same for immigrants here too

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Apr 30, 2008 at 8:49 AM

Nice to know the history of the early settlers The farms must go on for miles around these parts it must have been hard work in the past when you think of todays farm machinery

• sachara's Profile Photo
    Apr 28, 2008 at 10:17 AM

Hi Glenn, as usual it's delight to read your entertaining pages. Thanks for sharing your stories about all those lovely places !

Bwana_Brown

“Don`t sweat the small stuff”

Badges & Stats in Old Wives Lake

Have you been to Old Wives Lake?