"Tranquil Ile d'Orleans" Île d' Orléans by Bwana_Brown

Île d' Orléans Travel Guide: 9 reviews and 43 photos

After a morning spent at the Montmorency Falls, my wife and I crossed the nearby suspension bridge to Ile d'Orleans. This small island, only 40 miles in circumference, is a short 15 minute drive from downtown Quebec City. Its fertile soil has attracted settlers for over 300 years and it today serves as the vegetable and fruit breadbasket of its nearby large neighbour. Because of its long-standing islolation from the mainland, many cultural aspects of the island have been retained to the present day, leading to its declaration as a national historic district in 1970. The photo depicts a backyard windmill in one of the more afluent regions of the island, near the village of Saint-Petronille on the western tip.

• Pros:Beautiful scenery, relaxed pace!
  • In a nutshell:A very nice place to stay and relax at your pleasure.
  • Last visit to Île d' Orléans: Oct 2003
  • Intro Written Oct 13, 2003

• nicolaitan's Profile Photo
    Mar 12, 2009 at 10:46 AM

with montmorency, looks like a great day trip. nice info, very nice rainbow at the falls. thanks for sharing. n.

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Sep 4, 2008 at 2:26 PM

Enjoyed your page today...again. My son & wife have been on the island, in Quebec, Montreal and up the St. L. to my family village of Riviere Ouelle. I guess it's time for me to pack and make another trip that way. Island looks great.

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Jul 3, 2006 at 12:35 PM

Looks like a lovely place but I don't think we'll have enough time for another side trip....

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Apr 24, 2005 at 7:31 AM

You are talking of the "French penchant for brightly colored houses". That might be true in Canada but not in Europe. I was amazed by the bright colors of houses in northern countries such as Ireland, Scotland and Norway, much more than in France.

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Dec 31, 2004 at 2:16 PM

it is always great to see these lovely wooden houses in Canada !

• kazander's Profile Photo
    Aug 19, 2004 at 1:33 PM

I love a warm autumn. We go apple picking in New York State every year. Your picnic spot looked perfect. Enjoyed reading your page:)

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Nov 28, 2003 at 9:53 AM

You're right about that warm fall, Glenn and not much beats a roadside picnic when the weather looks like that.

• Canadienne's Profile Photo
    Oct 23, 2003 at 7:48 PM

I love those quaint, brightly-painted houses! It's so picturesque. . .and the fall colours. . .gorgeous!

• XenoHumph's Profile Photo
    Oct 13, 2003 at 1:24 PM

Great page on this lovely island!! I remember going to one of the beaches which was stripped!! It was made of alternative cm-dm scale layers of red and white rock (turbidites to be exact)! It looked so cool!

• herzog63's Profile Photo
    Oct 13, 2003 at 1:15 PM

What a lovely spot for a picnic!! I don't have any idea how to pronounce this town!! hahaha They would know I was an outsider!!

Bwana_Brown

“Don`t sweat the small stuff”

Badges & Stats in Île d' Orléans

Have you been to Île d' Orléans?

Latest Activity in Île d' Orléans