Ottawa Shopping Tips by Bwana_Brown
Ottawa Shopping: 81 reviews and 130 photos
IKEA store on the west side of Ottawa
With the nearest IKEA store to our home in Fredericton, New Brunswick being located 8 solid hours of driving away in Montreal, Quebec, my wife never passes up a chance to check out any IKEA store that we come across in our travels. In the case of Ottawa, the local store was only a 15-minute drive away on super-highway 417 West toward the upper Ottawa River valley.
The main wedding festivities had wrapped up on the Saturday night, so we had a couple of hours of free time on Sunday morning before we had to look after our youngest (2 years old) grandchild while his parents and sister went to the gift opening ceremonies. We grabbed our chance and headed off to see what this IKEA had to offer. We got there not long after the store opened (10 AM) and the crowds were already starting to build. Once inside the store, the aisles seemed like we were still out on the freeway, with a constant stream of people and their shopping carts following the typical IKEA floor arrows showing the proper path to sample all their delights. I had never seen it quite this crowded before in an IKEA store and you had to be careful where you stopped with your cart while browsing so as not to impede the traffic flow!
What to buy: We are doing some renovations at home, but we were mostly looking for small items such as pictures and prints for decorative purposes. However, this IKEA store was a bit on the small side compared to most and their choice of artistic items left quite a bit to be desired.
In the end, we only bought two very solid wall shelves (C$20 each), a ceramic candle-holder plate ($7.50) and a device for storing surplus plastic bags ($2). Nothing too dramatic, but at least we now know what the Ottawa IKEA has to offer!
Address: 2685 Iris St., Pinecrest Shopping Centre, Ottawa
Directions: IKEA Canada.
Phone: (613) 829-4530
Theme: Home Furnishing
The Loeb Capital Rideau
Since we were staying in a suite with a fully equipped kitchen, it was nice to have a modern supermarket located only a block or two away from our hotel. I made a couple of trips to the Loeb supermarket, while Sue was tied up with child-minding duties, in order to pick up a few basic supplies for breakfast and lunches.
What to buy: Prices were the same as most any similar type store in Canada: bunch of bananas ($0.79), four tomatos ($3.73), four multi-grain bagels ($2.36), loaf of whole grain bread ($3.59), Philadelphia herb & garlic cream cheese spread ($3.49), a small bottle of Hellman's mayo ($2.29), block of cheddar cheese ($4.29), box of Ritz whole wheat crackers ($2), can of tea bags ($3.29) and small containers of strawberry and raspberry yogurt ($1 each).
Because I was not buying very much, the quick service counter for 1-16 items was an efficient way to check out!
Address: 245 Capital Rideau
Directions: On the edge of the Bytown Market area
Theme: Food and Drink
More Reviews (16)
Bwana_Brown's Related Pages
Ottawa Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "CANADA - OTTAWA"
- "My Home town.....a work in progress : o ]"
- "O t t a w a"
- "Definitely A Tale Of Two Cities!!"
- "Ottawa, Ontario! The Canadian Capital!"
- "The capital city of Canada"
- "Ottawa! The Capital!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ottawa
- Hotels in Ottawa
- Transportation in Ottawa
- Nightlife in Ottawa
- Restaurants in Ottawa
- Shopping in Ottawa
- Warnings and Dangers in Ottawa
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ottawa
- 18 Reviews
- 47 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 18 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (103)
Have you been to Ottawa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ottawa
- Commented on one of Bwana_Brown's Ottawa travel pages
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: How to contact new member "
- updated a Ottawa Travel Page "Ottawa - a very beautiful small city"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Canada's Capital"
- Wrote a Review The National Aviation Museum about Ottawa and area Museums in Ottawa Things to Do
Photos in OttawaSee All Photos (47)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Andalucía Intro, 60 reviews, 186 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of New Brunswick Intro, 70 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaspé Intro, 51 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belize Intro, 66 reviews, 140 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Ontario Intro, 46 reviews, 144 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yellowstone National Park Intro, 42 reviews, 120 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portugal Intro, 80 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier National Park Intro, 43 reviews, 115 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canada Intro, 45 reviews, 100 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 68 reviews, 71 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (68)
- Parliament Hill- 110 Reviews, 280 Photos
- Byward Market- 34 Reviews, 83 Photos
- Ottawa and area Museums- 64 Reviews, 135 Photos
- Views of Ottawa- 16 Reviews, 32 Photos
- Canadian Tulip Festival- 13 Reviews, 26 Photos
- Rideau Canal- 26 Reviews, 56 Photos
- National Art Gallery of Canada- 34 Reviews, 64 Photos
- Parliament Hill - Changing of the Guard- 17 Reviews, 33 Photos
- Rideau Canal - Skating in Winter- 18 Reviews, 23 Photos
- Ottawa Locks- 17 Reviews, 30 Photos
See All Ottawa Things to Do