Quebec Transportation Tips by Bwana_Brown Top 5 Page for this destination
Quebec Transportation: 86 reviews and 84 photos
Coast Guard Icebreaker & Chateau Frontenac
Hey, one of the great things about VT is that you get all these very useful tips from other travellers! Well, I decided to make use of one of the ones that I had read. During the last stages of the afternoon of my arrival in the city, I walked down into Old Quebec where I was able to board one of the ferries that will take you across the river to Levis. The cost for a round-trip ticket is only C$5 (US$3.80) and it gives you a chance to get out on the water to view the boating activity as well as get a different perspective on Quebec City. I never even got off the ferry, and the entire trip took less than an hour. As we were returning to the departure point, I took this shot of the venerable old Chateau Frontenac perched on the cliffs above the old town. In the foreground, is a Canadian Coast Guard icebreaker, one of many that is used to keep the St. Lawrence River open to ships travelling to Quebec City and Montreal during the winter months. The entire river and the Gulf of St. Lawrence normally freeze over right out to the Cabot Strait, where Nova Scotia and Newfoundland nearly meet each other!
It is only a 600 km (360 mile) drive from Fredericton to downtown Quebec City so we rented a van and took off. We were there in 6 hours exactly.
Walking will take care of the main tourist area. The tour guide also recommended taking the ferry across to Levis for about $5 and just stay onboard to come on back to the Quebec City side. It gives you a great view of the Old city and a chance for photos from a different angle. While walking around the Petit Champlain area of the Lower city, we came across another of those frescos they like to use to cover the side of any building that has been exposed by removal of an adjoining structure (see photo)
Type: Car/Motor Home
More Reviews (32)
- A Trendy Little Street for Artists
- See All Citadel View of the Chateau Frontenac
- See All An Elegant Spot
- See All A 'Warm' Touch
Bwana_Brown's Related Pages
Quebec Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Quebec, mon amour!"
- "Quebec City, Quebec, Canada"
- "Quebec City - A Bit of Europe Close at Hand!"
- "Quebec, the charming French town"
- "Une Petite Tour de La Ville de Quebec...."
- "Quebec City, c'est magnifique!"
- "LA BELLE PROVINCE - QUEBEC"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Quebec
- Hotels in Quebec
- Transportation in Quebec
- Nightlife in Quebec
- Restaurants in Quebec
- Shopping in Quebec
- Warnings and Dangers in Quebec
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Quebec
- 34 Reviews
- 35 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 35 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (103)
Have you been to Quebec?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Quebec
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: How to contact new member "
- Commented on one of margaretvn's Quebec travel pages
- Wrote a Review A Trendy Little Street for Artists about Rue du Trésor in Quebec Shopping
- Uploaded a Photo to "A Trendy Little Street for Artists"
- updated a Quebec Travel Page "Quebec City - A Bit of Europe Close at Hand!"
Photos in QuebecSee All Photos (35)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Andalucía Intro, 60 reviews, 186 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of New Brunswick Intro, 70 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaspé Intro, 51 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belize Intro, 66 reviews, 140 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Ontario Intro, 46 reviews, 144 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yellowstone National Park Intro, 42 reviews, 120 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portugal Intro, 80 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier National Park Intro, 43 reviews, 115 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canada Intro, 45 reviews, 100 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 68 reviews, 71 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (68)
- Montmorency Falls- 30 Reviews, 55 Photos
- Chateau Frontenac- 36 Reviews, 61 Photos
- Place Royale & Le Petit Champlain- 66 Reviews, 89 Photos
- Walking around Vieux Quebec- 25 Reviews, 48 Photos
- Plains of Abraham (Battlefields Park)- 24 Reviews, 54 Photos
- Terrasse Dufferin- 26 Reviews, 41 Photos
- Citadelle de Quebec- 25 Reviews, 62 Photos
- Carnaval de Quebec- 12 Reviews, 21 Photos
- Ste-Anne-de-Beaupre Basilica- 10 Reviews, 31 Photos
- Vieux Quebec architecture & monuments- 37 Reviews, 46 Photos
See All Quebec Things to Do